How to test stator on my YZ426f

4 replies to this topic
  • jeramiet

Posted November 19, 2008 - 05:52 PM

I hope someone can help me I have a 02 yz426f I just replaced the top end with a wiseco hi comp piston and took it into the shop to have the valves adjusted and now it won't start they said they had it running at the shop but that my stator is going bad. So before I buy one I want to make sure it is bad. I normally would believe the mechanics but I had to go back twice to the shop on other issues, I just got the feeling they didn't give my bike the attention I thought they would especially for the amount I paid. Before I rebuilt the top end it started fine. Also before I put the new piston in I couldn't kick it without pulling the decomp lever in a little but now I don't even have to pull the lever in does anyone have any help they can give me thanks in advance Jeramie

• 642MX

Posted November 19, 2008 - 06:10 PM

I hope someone can help me I have a 02 yz426f I just replaced the top end with a wiseco hi comp piston and took it into the shop to have the valves adjusted and now it won't start they said they had it running at the shop but that my stator is going bad. So before I buy one I want to make sure it is bad. I normally would believe the mechanics but I had to go back twice to the shop on other issues, I just got the feeling they didn't give my bike the attention I thought they would especially for the amount I paid. Before I rebuilt the top end it started fine. Also before I put the new piston in I couldn't kick it without pulling the decomp lever in a little but now I don't even have to pull the lever in does anyone have any help they can give me thanks in advance Jeramie

Your stator has nothing to do with the compression. Something is wrong if you can kick a 426 with a high comp piston over w/o the decompression lever pulled. Start with the basics, check the timing, check the valve clearances....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2008 - 07:34 PM

The stator can be tested using the procedure laid out in the service manual. If you don't have one, you can get one at:

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

However, as 642 pointed out, there's something wrong somewhere with a 426 that you can crank without the compression release, unless you also installed the auto decompression exhaust cam. I see 3 likely possibilities:

> The valve clearance is too tight because an incorrect shim was used and not rechecked.

> The valve clearance is wrong because a shim is cocked in its pocket, and not rechecked.

> The valve timing is wrong. If the shop reshimmed even one valve, that would be their fault. If they just checked them and found them OK, it's your fault, but they should have spotted it.

• jeramiet

Posted November 20, 2008 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. And I do realize that the stator has nothing to do with compression but they told me that my stator was going bad and that was why it won't start. Sorry my bad on how I worded it in my first posting. I am going to have to have it rechecked. Thanks guys for your help.
Jeramie

• jeramiet

Posted November 20, 2008 - 11:10 AM

I just got off the phone with the owners of the shop here in Reno and they have agreed to take a look at it tomorrow:banana: :thumbsup: :moon: Now hopefully it gets fixed I will update when we find out what the problem turned out to be. Thanks again

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.