How to Test my Stator on a 02 YZ426F

5 replies to this topic
  • jeramiet

Posted November 19, 2008 - 05:33 PM

I hope someone can help me I have a 02 yz426f I just replaced the top end with a wiseco hi comp piston and took it into the shop to have the valves adjusted and now it won't start they said they had it running at the shop but that my stator is going bad. So before I buy one I want to make sure it is bad. I normally would believe the mechanics but I had to go back twice to the shop on other issues, I just got the feeling they didn't give my bike the attention I thought they would especially for the amount I paid. Before I rebuilt the top end it started fine. Also before I put the new piston in I couldn't kick it without pulling the decomp lever in a little but now I don't even have to pull the lever in does anyone have any help they can give me thanks in advance Jeramie.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 19, 2008 - 07:16 PM

I hope someone can help me I have a 02 yz426f I just replaced the top end with a wiseco hi comp piston and took it into the shop to have the valves adjusted and now it won't start they said they had it running at the shop but that my stator is going bad. So before I buy one I want to make sure it is bad. I normally would believe the mechanics but I had to go back twice to the shop on other issues, I just got the feeling they didn't give my bike the attention I thought they would especially for the amount I paid. Before I rebuilt the top end it started fine. Also before I put the new piston in I couldn't kick it without pulling the decomp lever in a little but now I don't even have to pull the lever in does anyone have any help they can give me thanks in advance Jeramie.

might want to check the yz forum as the wr has a different style set up. also you can go to the sticky at the top of the page and download a copy of the manual for your bike. it will tell you how to test your stator!:thumbsup:

• doctorchopper

Posted November 20, 2008 - 02:41 AM

Something is seriously wrong if you can kick the bike over without pulling the decomp lever in. check and make sure the decomp isn't sticking, if it is diconnect the cable, might be a seized cable, and worse case snapped
piston ring

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:01 AM

If they were adjusting the valves I would have a very close look at the Cam timing. Especially since you describe being able to kick it over with no decomp.

Start with basics first.

• GCannon

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:04 AM

Have the shop perform a cylinder leakage test (for free) since they don't know what the problem is this test will rule out (or show) any problems with the cylinder's ability to hold pressure.

• jeramiet

Posted November 20, 2008 - 10:04 AM

Thanks I didn't realize I was in the WR forum. I did repost in the YZ. And I will check all the other suggestions also. Thanks for your help

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.