Glowing Header on Start???

7 replies to this topic
  • MLN

Posted February 11, 2001 - 03:57 PM

Have a 2001 WR426 (Canadian Model) and immediately after the start the header begins to glow bright red.

I am aware that these bikes will do this but am not sure if it is normal to do so right after the start.

The bike seems to run fine and the glow dissipates on riding it.

I am wondering if this has to do with the Canadian model's exhaust which does not have a removable baffle.

Any comments appreciated.

• bonez34

Posted February 11, 2001 - 04:01 PM

using the choke will make it glow faster, but it should take about a minute to do so. also if you let it idle at any time during a ride it will usually glow. it also makes a great cigeratte lighter!

• allinson

Posted February 11, 2001 - 05:01 PM

I would check your plug and see what color it is. It is possible that you are running very lean. My friend just got a new wr426 and his did the same thing. He done some checking and found out that he was running lean. His bike was stock and was still running lean. I have the same bike and jetting; however, his ran different.

• TheBOS

Posted February 12, 2001 - 07:22 AM

check the plug. I had this problem with my XR400 due to a really crapped up plug.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sandracer_uk

Posted February 12, 2001 - 07:53 AM

its normal for the header to run cherry red at iddle normally, u will only notice it at night or in poor light tho.

• PMAUST

Posted February 12, 2001 - 08:21 AM

I have noticed that too. It freaked me out when I first saw it. I have had the bike now since last summer and have ridden the heck out of it with no problems.

• bart9505

Posted February 12, 2001 - 11:35 AM

I talked to a service guy at the dealer. He said it's because most stock pipes are double-walled, and the wr pipe is a thin single-wall. Mine does it, but I haven't ridden it enough to tell if there is anything wrong. It didn't seem to make any difference when I took the baffle out. It keeps the mud off, though. I've been out in the muck a few times, and the only mark on my pipe is a fingerprint/skin mark from a half-drunk guy (who races two-strokes)who touched it to see if it was hot. It was.

• RAZOR

Posted February 12, 2001 - 04:32 PM

I noticed this on my '01-WR426, just last sat. I immediately hit the kill button and called Psycho-Steve from Fontana CA. He has a'00-WR400 and said not to sweat it, because they all do it- only you normally don't notice it in day-light. I pulled my plug to take a look... it was purrrfect. Leave it to the YAMMY engineers to freak us out for no good reason.
- RAZOR

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.