Wr450f 2009

14 replies to this topic
  • Ka0sX

Posted November 18, 2008 - 01:47 PM

Well iam thinking comming to the darkside from kawi

Iam currently looking at the WR450F 2009

I was wondering if anyone has any input on what the bike is like over the KLX450R

Thanks for any replys in adfvance

• YamaLink

Posted November 18, 2008 - 01:57 PM

In my biased opinion, once the WR450F is "uncorked" I think it's a better overall bike than the Kawi, which is a fine machine, too.

• Ka0sX

Posted November 18, 2008 - 02:01 PM

what will i have to do to uncork it ?

I had to de-restrict the klx. Here in australia aswell it was the only way dealers were able to get them in

So what will have to have done to unleash its power other then the throttle stop?

The new Wr450F i think looks like a better built bike also

• brad the best

Posted November 18, 2008 - 07:25 PM

remove the throttle stop in the carb (easy) cut the grey wire , remove ais , pull the pea shooter out of the exhaust pipe or buy a after market one . some people also cut up the air box a bit . and after all that a re- jett .

are you comparing it to a 09 kawi fuel injected bike ? i personally would not buy a kawi but if i bought a brand new bike it would have to be fuel injected and since yamaha doesn't have one yet i would have to go for a suzuki .

the yamaha's are bullet proof and great bikes . im waiting for a fuel injected one before i sell my 03 . i personally think yamaha's are a lot better built then Kawasaki's they just feel cheap to me .

• Himsa123

Posted November 18, 2008 - 08:12 PM

I bought my 2007 WR 450 the same time by buddy bought his 2008 KLX450r. Since his purchase the electric start only works 10% of the time, idk the exact specs but his bike feels a lot heavier than the WR when i rode it. All in all it is a pain to start even kicking it over and my wr will start with a push of the easy button or first kick. Of course these are issues that can be resolved but thats just my 2 cents on the KLX450r vs. Wr450f out of the box.

• RSAthump

Posted November 19, 2008 - 05:19 AM

I have a buddy who bought 08 KLX450R, oil leaks after first ride, fork seal leakage, overheating after it came bak from dealer. He was not a happy camper!! Bike spent most of its time back at the dealer. He eventually traded it in on an 08wr450f and he is happy now, much like me:ride:

• Ka0sX

Posted November 19, 2008 - 03:11 PM

iam comparing klx45r vs 09 wr450f

I will only be able to do a couple of the mods

1 will be removing throttle stop for sure

2 pipe

3 ais

4 jetting

Out of thos mods what are the most important to uncork it ?

Id like to get the pipe but can also get one later on so would you guy

do 3 and 4 and get pipe later ?

ill have them do all this before i even take the bike home so its fully ready for me to jump on it and give it a big fist full and have fun

Cheers guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • desdave

Posted November 20, 2008 - 07:31 AM

Throttle stop is a must, otherwise the throttle only opens literally 1/2 way. AIS has no effect on performance, just some weight and maybe contribute to popping on deceleration. Stock pipe can be modified for free for better performance. Remove the snorkel and plate it attaches to in the airbox for free. Now you're down to jetting because they come jetted for 1/2 throttle with intake and exhaust heavily restricted. Oh, and the gray wire disconnect is free. I have a new 08 wr450 with just these mods so far (did remove the ais also) and it runs and carburates great. Might try to dial in the jetting further, but it is totally ridable/enjoyable right now. Suspension however is too soft, so that will take some professional help.

• Strattos

Posted November 20, 2008 - 02:56 PM

Ka0sX, you might not have to do the throttle stop. I know a lot of dealers in Australia do this for you, and re-jet to suit, from the shop. I bought mine brand new in May this year year and the pea-shooter had been taken out of the pipe, the throttle stop replaced and the carb re-jetted. However, when I'm saying the pea-shooter was removed, the pipe still needs the GYTR insert as a minimum to make it breath better. Pipe should be the only thing you'll really need to spend money on, as the grey wire is obviously free as well. They're a great bike. No complaints at all from me. Not sure if the Aussie versions come with the AIS. Don't think mine did, or the dealer took it off for me.

• Ka0sX

Posted November 21, 2008 - 02:37 PM

thanks guys

iam having the throttle done jets and pipe done at first will see how things are with the bike after that iam sure it will have more then enough grunt for me with just them mods done

Cant wait to RIP the trails up in sometime next week when the dealer gets the bike in pipe as been ordered all ready and jet kit

Cheers

• erickdj

Posted November 21, 2008 - 04:27 PM

thanks guys

iam having the throttle done jets and pipe done at first will see how things are with the bike after that iam sure it will have more then enough grunt for me with just them mods done

Cant wait to RIP the trails up in sometime next week when the dealer gets the bike in pipe as been ordered all ready and jet kit

Cheers

you shouldn't need a "jet kit", buying an NFPP needle and a couple of main/pilot jets will be FAR cheaper than a "kit". I learned this the hard way.
As others have mentioned, the AIS doesn't affect performance, so removing it is more weight reduction/cosmetic than anything. I filled mine with epoxy, so the exhaust doesn't pop, it doesn't bother me to see it on the bike. The grey wire is a fast and free mod. Removing the air snorkel and frame around it is fast and free as well. The throttle screw can be cut or simply replaced with a yz450f screw. The exhaust can be run without the baffle, leaving only the spark arrestor in place, the bike will have quite a good grunt that way and it won't be too loud. So for very little money the bike will be ready to RIP those trails! Also, don't forget to install a 45 leak jet in the bowl and do the o-ring mod to the AP arm.

• Mutu

Posted November 23, 2008 - 10:13 PM

Well iam thinking comming to the darkside from kawi

Iam currently looking at the WR450F 2009

I was wondering if anyone has any input on what the bike is like over the KLX450R

Thanks for any replys in advance

KLX weighs a ton!
WR has proven reliability, but needs some work to be a good bike. I'd imagine KLX to be the same.
WR suspension sucks ass big time for a start. It is WAY too soft.

• mikeythefokker

Posted November 23, 2008 - 10:52 PM

The Yamaha gytr ais removal kit will have everything that you need. It comes with a new set of jets, a yz style adjustable fuel needle, and an ais block off plate. Spring for the pipe too, its well worth the power increase. Your face will also begin to hurt, from the constant smile.

• Mutu

Posted November 23, 2008 - 11:34 PM

The Yamaha gytr ais removal kit will have everything that you need. It comes with a new set of jets, a yz style adjustable fuel needle, and an ais block off plate. Spring for the pipe too, its well worth the power increase. Your face will also begin to hurt, from the constant smile.

Australian bikes don't need that kit.
We don't have AIS, and we get YZ throttle stop. :bonk:

• golddog

Posted January 01, 2009 - 08:10 PM

my buddy just bought an 08 klx450 only problem so far seems to be a weak charging system (stator) and hard starting.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.