SUV vs Pickup

21 replies to this topic
  • CTMX

Posted November 17, 2008 - 12:56 PM

I've been thinking about replacing my pickup with something else maybe an SUV. My thought is I could get a hitch carrier for when I'm by myself and a trailer which would allow me to take more than just 1 or 2 people with me. I also think an SUV would have more usuable space on a day to day basis, and the only downfall of itI see would be hauling something messy but I could just hookup the the trailer for that.

So what are your opinions and expierences with an SUV vs Pickup for hauling bikes and other stuff as well as using for daily driving.

• BlackBuzzard

Posted November 17, 2008 - 01:05 PM

If you are thinking of replacing your pickup with a non pickup-SUV, then its likely you never real needed the bed of a truck much to begin with.

Usually its the other way around.......SUV owner changes mind and wants a big truck bed for stuff or occasional dirt, mulch, building materials, etc.

Best compromise is to get one of each.:ride: :moon: :ride: :thumbsup: :moon:

They are all extra cheap to buy these days.

BB

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted November 17, 2008 - 01:06 PM

I think you can make anything work out. Hitch racks are easier to load because they are not as high off the ground as a 4x4 pickup bed. Pickups tend to hold a lot more junk in the back... especially 4-door long beds.

Personally I have 2 dodge cummins pickups, and 3 trailers. That tends to cover all my scenarios. My wife drives the SUV.

• Original_Prankster

Posted November 17, 2008 - 02:14 PM

get a crew cab and a (gulp...)topper, best of both worlds, keep stuff in the back dry, or remove for bike transportation

• rezrider

Posted November 17, 2008 - 04:31 PM

I've been thinking about replacing my pickup with something else maybe an SUV. My thought is I could get a hitch carrier for when I'm by myself and a trailer which would allow me to take more than just 1 or 2 people with me. I also think an SUV would have more usuable space on a day to day basis, and the only downfall of itI see would be hauling something messy but I could just hookup the the trailer for that.

So what are your opinions and expierences with an SUV vs Pickup for hauling bikes and other stuff as well as using for daily driving.

I've had trucks then went to an SUV (4x4 Yukon) had it for a while. Nice to have the space in the back to put "stuff" and have it locked up and not have to take it out! I went back to a crew cab truck for a number of reasons. If i wanted to haul something (load of wood, stuff, etc) I didn't want to have to hook up a trailer...and hauling gas cans while pulling my TH...They can be in the bed and not smell up the inside of the SUV or TH.

• Chickenhauler

Posted November 17, 2008 - 09:14 PM

Best of both worlds-4 door pickup with a roll up locking tonneau cover that can be stowed and still haul bikes!

• davemo94

Posted November 18, 2008 - 12:16 PM

+1 for crew-cab pick-up with locking tonneau or topper.

Best of both worlds and much cheaper than a comparable SUV.

I've had an F-150 extended cab the last 3 years with a folding aluminum tonneau cover made by Advance Cover. This cover worked great for hauling bikes. It locked securely, and folded up into a stack about 60" wide x 20" deep x 3" thick that weighed about 30 pounds and was easily removed and installed by one person, and easily stored in the garage. All it takes is 2 bolts to remove completely from the truck leaving the whole bed open for bikes. Initial installation takes about 1 hour to get all the mounting clamps / latch strike plates positioned, then it only takes about 1 minute to remove or re-install.

If you go with a roll-up tonneau be sure to consider the canister it rolls into at the front of the bed. I looked at these, but decided the canister would get in the way too much when loading bikes, so I went with the folding option and was very happy with it.

I recently traded in the F-150 on a crew cab Silverado because I needed more interior room than the extended cab. I strongly considered a Suburban or an Expedition, when I did this, but found that they were about $10K more than a comparably equipped crew cab pickup, so I went with another pickup.

I looked at tonneau covers for the Silverado, but ended up getting a fiberglass topper instead, so now I'll pull my trailer or use a hitch hauler, just like I would have with an SUV. The bed on the Silverado is significantly smaller than the bed on my F-150 was, so it didn't work very well for hauling more than 1 bike, and a topper was more useful for other purposes so I went with the topper instead of the tonneau.

Note that on an F-150 you can still get the 6.5' bed with crew cab, but with the silverado you can only get a 5.7' bed, and more importantly the Silverado bed is much narrower inside than the F-150. I wish I'd paid attention to that before buying.

• connor0770

Posted November 18, 2008 - 08:07 PM

truck, cause if u think it is too high, u can u the hitch hauler on

• Bryan Bosch

Posted November 20, 2008 - 08:06 AM

+2 on 4 door truck. I have a Chevy Tahoe LT 4X4 and use a rail carrier or tow a trailer. But, here are so many times where it would be so much easier to toss it in the back of a bed instead of folding down the seats. And I like to keep my cars nice, so I just don't toss mucky stuff back there. If I had to do it over again, 4 door truck. I will do all my Tahoe will and more...

• GyroRon

Posted November 21, 2008 - 04:37 AM

Some don't like the way they look ( I didn't until I bought one ) but a Chevy Avalanche is probably the ultimate vehicle. Seats 5 people.... Has a bed large enough for 2 full size bikes.... Bed has removable cover and is watertight and lockable..... Back wall of cab to bed is foldable incase you want to haul long items and not have them exposed to the weather, also good for camping in the truck, allow you to sleep in the bed and have access to the cab of the truck.... Truck is built on a SUV chassis, so it has coil spring suspension and a MUCH smoother and steady ride and handling..... Great gas milage for a truck...... Built in large storage containers on either side of the bed.... rubber bed mat standard, etc... Go get one of those and you truely have the best of both worlds

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xjeeper

Posted November 21, 2008 - 12:47 PM

I did that once(sold my ford sd cc and bought a jeep commander, sold the jeep and bought an f150 cc shortbed 2 months later, 11 monthes later traded for an f150 cc 6.5 bed truck, 8monthes later, back into an04 sd cc) expensive lesson, you need a truck that is big enough to handle your biggest hauling job, even if 99% of the time an suv or smaller truck is adequate. I have a hitch carrier and a trailer, and I found the time to load all of the bikes and stuff(gearbags are bulky) gets to be a big hassle, with alarge truck I save time packing and unpacking, less work=more ride.

• MEROST

Posted November 22, 2008 - 04:19 PM

I recently faced the same dilema. Had a truck and then bought an SUV. Realized with the SUV I have more interior space and if I want to haul large stuff I can just use a 5x8 trailer, which actually holds more and more weight than most pickups. The only downside I have discovered is hauling my generator when I haul my motorcycles on my Baja camper.

• camaro_guy_z28

Posted February 22, 2009 - 10:15 AM

They both have their advantage. I personally have a ford explorer and tow a 5x8 open trailer. Plenty of room with the 3rd seat down for all my gear and what not. Plus i can easily get changed in the back seat.

• bdrushto

Posted February 22, 2009 - 11:02 AM

The Avalanche is a good solution for those in that situation.

My family used to have a Tahoe that we towed the bikes with in a cargo trailer. It worked just fine until we needed to haul something nasty (live Christmas trees were the worst). Even though his kids are grown now he says he still wouldn't mind having one (though he knows he can call me to haul wood now with my truck).

I now have a 1/2 ton Chevy and a fishing buddy has an Avalanche. The Avalanche is nice and it has worked well for him as he doesn't haul much bulky or nasty stuff. The lockable cover and storage is really nice, especially when on fishing trips, but it's the only advantage over my truck with my waterproof (not advertised as such but it's proven to be) tonneau that comes off in about 30 seconds. I haul way too much nasty stuff and the bikes way too often for an Avalanche to be practical for me, though, so it really all comes down to weighing your needs.

• GyroRon

Posted February 22, 2009 - 06:54 PM

Why can't you haul " nasty stuff " in a Avalanche? I know I hauled nasty things in mine. You can hose out the bed in one just as easy as any other pick up. Meanwhile you have a better ride, and more truck to use, and pricing on used Avalanches is good.

About the only real downside to a avalanche, is the plastic they use on the bed cover/ side box covers/ fake lightbar.... the plastic tends to fade from Black to grey over time and doesn't look as good once the truck has a few years on it. Of course I see this same plastic fading on many other vehicles too, such as Ford Expeditions and F-150's, etc....

• dirtyriders110

Posted February 22, 2009 - 08:20 PM

I recently faced the same dilema. Had a truck and then bought an SUV. Realized with the SUV I have more interior space and if I want to haul large stuff I can just use a 5x8 trailer, which actually holds more and more weight than most pickups. The only downside I have discovered is hauling my generator when I haul my motorcycles on my Baja camper.

We haul our generator inside all the time.. even gets left inside overnight and doesn't smell up the car.

We do have it in a big rubbermade thing but I don't know how much fume blocking that really does.

• bdrushto

Posted February 22, 2009 - 10:58 PM

Why can't you haul " nasty stuff " in a Avalanche? I know I hauled nasty things in mine. You can hose out the bed in one just as easy as any other pick up. Meanwhile you have a better ride, and more truck to use, and pricing on used Avalanches is good.

About the only real downside to a avalanche, is the plastic they use on the bed cover/ side box covers/ fake lightbar.... the plastic tends to fade from Black to grey over time and doesn't look as good once the truck has a few years on it. Of course I see this same plastic fading on many other vehicles too, such as Ford Expeditions and F-150's, etc....

Sorry, what I was thinking wasn't what my fingers ended up typing on the keyboard. Lol. What I meant was more the bulky/awkwardly shaped stuff that I end up hauling would be more difficult in the Avalanche, not the nasty stuff (We've used it to move firewood a couple times). Having handled big rolling toolboxes, a 55" TV (palleted in a box), furniture, etc. that I've helped him load and unload out of his in the few years he's had it I didn't like all the plastic getting in the way, especially the light bar that comes back over the cargo area. It got the job done, but I like the openness of my truck bed for what I carry around. Other than that, I like them a lot. :lol:

• GyroRon

Posted February 23, 2009 - 04:36 AM

Okay, no problems, I agree 100 percent. The Avalanche bed is smaller than a normal truck bed. Not as wide and not as long.

• BeauGt

Posted February 23, 2009 - 11:32 AM

We went to a Tahoe on are last truck. It works great but not having a bed sucks. Will be getting a Crew cab 1500 next time around.

• vector911

Posted February 23, 2009 - 11:37 AM

I use the SUV/hitch hauler type. Would love to pick up a 4 dr taco or one of these fords for fun http://image.trucktr...-sport-trac.jpg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.