advice on getting an 06 yz 450..yes

7 replies to this topic
  • bendover932

Posted November 16, 2008 - 05:34 PM

hello all ..i did a search on the 06 yz 450..and it was mostly pre/just post i thought id just ask on the long term ..let me first say that i have never owned a 4 stroke...i was forced to quit racing when the 4 strokes were still not raced by the

i have been feeling the itch to ride again..but just recreationally..not race..not pound laps on a practice track..just some track..some woods...some pits...every now and then and just think i would kick myself for blowing 6-7 grand for something to ride once a month or so..and have an oportunity to pick up an 06 yz 450 in trade ...

having not really been involved for the last 7-8 years in mx...dont really know which bikes were the roaches etc aside from friends that still race/ride and hearing about their 4 stroke problems in passing....

the specifics on the bike ...stock clamps & circuit ti 4 system...and stock internals(cams etc)

so my question is.. is /was this a pretty good overall bike aside from the steering/push the motor solid..or prone to grenade after say..2 will be riding it relatively hard i guess once i get used to riding again...thanks in advance for any help!!

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2008 - 06:51 PM

I own two of them. When they're cared for, they're great. There's a few better, but a hell of a lot worse.

• Family Man

Posted November 16, 2008 - 09:29 PM

How much are they asking out the door for the 06 your looking at?

• bendover932

Posted November 16, 2008 - 09:34 PM

its actually a trade for a pitbike i had sitting around that i had tried to sell for a while to no no cash out of hand..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hillclimbguy

Posted November 17, 2008 - 06:53 PM

Do it before he changes his mind.

• sacfelix

Posted November 17, 2008 - 07:14 PM

I have an 06 as well and love it. I have 65hrs on mine and no problems.

• Justin89

Posted November 17, 2008 - 09:32 PM

2006 was a beast. Hell of a good bike. I have a 2006 yz450f as my race bike and wouldnt trade it for any other bike right now...except maybe an 09 with 06 cams:smirk:And I have ridden the 09 Honda and Kawasaki and was not impressed AT ALL

• bendover932

Posted November 18, 2008 - 10:04 AM

thanks guys i went ahead and did it...havent ridden it yet ...just around the lot when i bought it with no helmet...i tore it apart last night to go over everything bearings...nuts bolts etc...aside from some stripped heads and missing bolts/nuts here and far so

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.