Hotcam Exhaust cam only install

8 replies to this topic
  • rich1167

Posted November 16, 2008 - 08:09 AM

I know this is an issue that has beat to death. But I have been searching and I can't come up with a definitive answer. I purchased a hotcam # 4044-1e. It hasen't shown up on my door step yet. Hotcams claims that the only differance between the YZF cam (#4022-1e) and the WRF cam (#4044-1e) is the pin for the autodecomp. I have an 05 wr450f. Has any won out their installed just the 4044-1e or the 4022-1e and seen a noticeable proformance gain? If I'm not gonna see a gain I will just send it back before I install it. The reason I went with the hotcam was #1 it was about $50 cheaper then the stock YZF cam. #2 the WRF hotcam is desigened to work properly with the WRF autodecomp and the stock YZF is not.

Thanks, Rich.

• KJ790

Posted November 16, 2008 - 08:18 AM

You likely will not see performance gains. If you get the 4022-1e cam you will notice performance gains. The autodecompression mechanism should come with the cam, so you can buy the one for a YZ, and put it in with the YZ timing and notice a nice gain. If you want more gain, get a hotcams intake cam also.

• rich1167

Posted November 16, 2008 - 08:44 AM

So even though the specs are the same for the 4044 and the 4022. I will only see gains with the 4022? Not tryin to say your wrong but that dosen't make any sense to me. Hotcams claimed the only differance between the 2 cams is the autodecomp pin.

• KJ790

Posted November 16, 2008 - 08:56 AM

So even though the specs are the same for the 4044 and the 4022. I will only see gains with the 4022? Not tryin to say your wrong but that dosen't make any sense to me. Hotcams claimed the only differance between the 2 cams is the autodecomp pin.

You will notice a small gain over the stock WR cam, but it more than likely will not perform as well as a stock YZ cam. The difference isn't the cam lobe shape, as that is the same between the two cams (as you already mentioned), the difference is in cam timing. The WR timing is one tooth retarded, and hence the decompression pin must be a couple of degrees different to run this timing. Running YZ timing gives better performance, but the decompression pin doesn't hit the bucket right if you are running this timing with a WR cam (or the 4044 cam). To run YZ timing you need either a stock YZ cam or a 4022 cam.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • simica

Posted November 17, 2008 - 06:51 PM

I also have an '05 WR450 and resently installed the YZ exhaust cam, not sure what the part number is. I went with the yamaha part cuz I heard there were some auto decom problems with the hotcam and I think the yamah part was cheaper cuz I get a good deal at my local dealer. Install was smooth and everything works great! Starts easier, revs faster and pulls harder low to mid range. Combine this with an aftermarket slip on exhaust and you will be very happy.

• beaver83

Posted November 18, 2008 - 02:31 PM

That is correct in that the only difference between the hotcams 44 & 22 cams is the auto decompression pin length. you can see this on their webiste. the 44 is has a shorter pin---smaller compression ratio engines. the 22 has a longer pin---larger compression engines. both cams have the same timing.... hotcams recommends that you do not do the "timing trick" with their exhaust cam, this is because if you compare the timing marks on their cam vs. the stock you will count 1 extra tooth.....they have built this into their cam sprocket timing to already give you max power.

• rich1167

Posted November 18, 2008 - 03:31 PM

That is correct in that the only difference between the hotcams 44 & 22 cams is the auto decompression pin length. you can see this on their webiste. the 44 is has a shorter pin---smaller compression ratio engines. the 22 has a longer pin---larger compression engines. both cams have the same timing.... hotcams recommends that you do not do the "timing trick" with their exhaust cam, this is because if you compare the timing marks on their cam vs. the stock you will count 1 extra tooth.....they have built this into their cam sprocket timing to already give you max power.

I called them and this is exactly what they told me. The timming is the same on both cams. I bought it off e-bay. Brand new $90 shipped. I should receive the cam by this weekend. I will install it and report my findings.

• KJ790

Posted November 18, 2008 - 04:19 PM

The WR and the YZ have the same compression ratio, it must be for a different reason.

• rich1167

Posted November 18, 2008 - 05:09 PM

Here is one of the responses I received from Hotcams:

"Rich, the only difference between the two cam shafts is the decomp. pin length. Since the YZ450F is a kick start only you need more decompression to make it easier to start. All other specs. are the same. Thank you."

When I think about this statment it dosen't make sense from the stand point that my bike kicks over pretty easily. But I assume they are the experts on their cam's. I believe most of the issues people had with their e-starters came form them mistakenly installing the 4022 cam in the WR. Thinking they needed the YZ cam to get YZ timming. This is only my theroy.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.