winter storage

35 replies to this topic
  • chadta

Posted November 18, 2008 - 05:39 PM

Posted Image

and if im not riding in the snow, im riding the indoor track

• Ogener

Posted November 18, 2008 - 07:21 PM

You can find seafoam at Advanced Auto and probably other autoparts stores and a farm supply store if theres one near you.

• TD-3

Posted November 19, 2008 - 04:09 AM

I've used StaBil in everything from lawnmowers, snowmobiles, street and dirt bikes and have never had an issue with it :moon:

Oh, and riding in snow or on frozen ground sucks, unless you have picks or ice screws. I guess that's why they make snowmobiles :thumbsup:

• rufusz

Posted November 19, 2008 - 05:50 AM

In winter when the nearby lakes freezes real hard, we put on the tires with spikes (actually there are wood-screws in it - a lot) and ride on ice. It has so much grip, you can tilt the bike very hard.

This vid is from last year, the FIRST time I went on the ice :

This is year I will try to make vid also from the race in winter there, pros and semi-pros slide sideways like hell :thumbsup:

• Ogener

Posted November 19, 2008 - 09:50 AM

I figured I should say that if you have used Sta Bil with success then dont be afraid to keep on using it, I guess I'm not trying to say that Sta Bil doesn't work at all but IMO SeaFoam works better.

• ch_250

Posted November 19, 2008 - 06:57 PM

i have a street legal wr 426 that i couldnt leave home while in college in manitoba. im gunna ride throughout the winter. i dont have a heated garage, so i keep it in a small steel shed. i bought a small magnetic block heater for it to keep the fluids warm. i ride it about once a week. we'l see what happens. theres plenty if ice here already, and it sure makes me practice my balance, it's good for my riding technique. tough though, thats for sure.

• YoungNastyMan

Posted November 23, 2008 - 09:56 PM

Reading these posts has me a little worried. I'm the proud owner of a 2004 YZ450 that has been sitting unused with old gas in it for 3 years. Cleaned the carb out and it runs... Not sure what damage may have been done though....Any suggestions on getting back to 100%?

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 24, 2008 - 04:26 AM

lol winter riding is fun only if around 0c.
wana see somone ride in -20 with 5 feet of snow. snowmobile only.
i wish for few days of -5 so i can ride alittle. probebly wont happen tho :bonk:.

http://www.thumperta...3116&highlight=

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kasjok

Posted November 24, 2008 - 09:04 AM

Reading these posts has me a little worried. I'm the proud owner of a 2004 YZ450 that has been sitting unused with old gas in it for 3 years. Cleaned the carb out and it runs... Not sure what damage may have been done though....Any suggestions on getting back to 100%?

Shame on you :bonk:

You want to take the carb apart and clean everything inside and possibly wash your bike with fresh fuel couple of times.

• bil2303

Posted November 26, 2008 - 06:11 AM

where do you buy the sea foam at

I found it a Pep Boys for $10.00

• husqy360

Posted November 27, 2008 - 09:30 PM

http://www.thumperta...3116&highlight=

:bonk:

• ch_250

Posted January 30, 2009 - 04:23 PM

im in college in manitoba and i couldn't stand leaving my bike at home in the garage for a year, so i took it along and stored it in the bicycle shed on campus. that worked great till it started getting to about minus 10, so i built a shed behind our apartment that's just big enough for the bike. i got some crap insulation and scrap wood and threw it together in about a half hour with the help of my neighbour. then i shovelled a bunch of snow onto it and around it to help insulate. i heat it with a 175 watt heat bulb. the temperature hovers right around the zero mark which is nice because that way i don't get condensation freezing in my lines, which is a common problem up here. i still ride about once a week and when it gets close to the zero mark.

http://i474.photobuc...50/IMG_0458.jpg

http://i474.photobuc...50/IMG_0459.jpg

http://i474.photobuc...50/IMG_0460.jpg

• Kasjok

Posted January 31, 2009 - 12:08 AM

We have had even over -15F here in winters and I have never had or heard about any problems. Though, I can see a problem if one uses plain water as a coolant.

• ch_250

Posted January 31, 2009 - 03:37 PM

if i used plain water in my bike it would overheat in a few seconds, and freeze in winter. im talking about gas. when you park a car inside for a few hours and warm it up, there is some condensation in the fuel lines that happens. then when you park it outside again, that condensation freezes and blocks the line. a little fuel line antifreeze fixes it fine. its happened to me a couple times.

• finthat

Posted January 31, 2009 - 10:19 PM

Not trying to be a dick, but why cant you. I seriously cant understand? Snow?.... sounds like a blast to me, Ice? Even more fun.

We just get boring cold rain and cold icy mud :). No fun, just misserable, but challenging. Last year that I raced, my last race, it was 34* and raining..... it SUCKED

I think your Georgia "winter" would be a heat wave for me right now and I'd be out rippin on a track. Its been too damm cold here to even go snowmobiling the last while. By cold I mean with the wind chill (if you know what that means) we were below -45c not long ago. Just to make the F to C conversion easy at -40c it is the same as -40 F. Too frickin cold on either scale.

Ice riding is fun until you hit it hard then it hurts. Screws in tires are a must.

• finthat

Posted January 31, 2009 - 10:29 PM

if i used plain water in my bike it would overheat in a few seconds, and freeze in winter. im talking about gas. when you park a car inside for a few hours and warm it up, there is some condensation in the fuel lines that happens. then when you park it outside again, that condensation freezes and blocks the line. a little fuel line antifreeze fixes it fine. its happened to me a couple times.

Also you may be sucking snow dust into your intake and freezing your carb up. I smoked my two stroke snowmobile once after punching drifts and playing in pow one day. Also snow dust and hot pistons do not like each other at all.....lets just say the snow dust will win in the end.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.