New Bike-08 RMZ 250, New to 4 Stroke, New to Suzuki!

Hey, I've just bought a new bike. I've been after a 4 stroke for a while. Its got 3 hours use on it and the rider I bought it from has gone up a class to expert so he was selling it to get a 450 or 250 2t. So I bought it as its a new bike for used bike money.

I've come off the back of two kx250's a 97 and an 04. Had a ride of a 250 at my local track which is very tight and I fell in love with the smooth power, the torque and the noise. I love the bike already!

What I'm looking for in this thread is tips on how to look after it properly, the spares package and Suzuki manual that came with the bike are being posted to me as I speak. This is my first four stroke but I have researched them enough to know about the importance of valve clearances, warming up etc. What else do I need to know? I've heard scary stories about weak gear trains on these bikes, are there any mods or new parts to fit to get rid of this? Do the 08's have any other problems? What is the best engine and clutch oil's to use?

The bike has already had the swing arm bearings moly greased, the guy told me that they're not greased from the factory this is a known issue. It has a brand new Dep S7 exhaust fitted, a 52T renthal rear sprocket and Pro Taper high bend bars which suit me. The previous rider was a similar height and weight. All in all I'm very happy so far and can't wait till next Sunday to get it out on the track for a shakedown. Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

Kev.

Hmmm, no posts! It can't be a fault free bike! As I'm new to four stroke I'd like to ask this, is there truth in what I've heard about the need to keep the bike moving and air flowing through the rads to stop it overheating? Once warmed up obviously.

I bought an 08 RM-Z250 a few weeks ago, and I can not say I know much about those four-strokes, what Snellingen told me though, was too ALWAYS make sure there was water on the radiators, and always warm up properly. Always clutch when gearing (basic knowledge, I know).

When we bought the bike, a former professional Norwegian had owned it (Lunewski), so the gearbox was upgraded.

Change oil after 5 hours of use, oil filter after 10 (every 2nd oil-change), and air filter preferably every 2nd ride (depends on how it looks. You will always need to get a washing cup and remove the airfilter when you wash the bike, so that is a good time to check it at.)

I've had no problems AT ALL with this bike so far, and can't wait for many, many happy hours on it!

I'll bookmark this thread aswell, seeing as I really(!) need to learn more about four-stroke maintenance (came off an 04 CR125).

-Z

Hey, I've just bought a new bike. I've been after a 4 stroke for a while. Its been out the showroom for two weeks, got 3 hours use on it and the rider I bought it from has gone up a class to expert so he was selling it to get a 450 or 250 2t. So I bought it as its a new bike for used bike money.

I've come off the back of two kx250's a 97 and an 04. Had a ride of a 250 at my local track which is very tight and I fell in love with the smooth power, the torque and the noise. I love the bike already!

What I'm looking for in this thread is tips on how to look after it properly, the spares package and Suzuki manual that came with the bike are being posted to me as I speak. This is my first four stroke but I have researched them enough to know about the importance of valve clearances, warming up etc. What else do I need to know? I've heard scary stories about weak gear trains on these bikes, are there any mods or new parts to fit to get rid of this? Do the 08's have any other problems? What is the best engine and clutch oil's to use?

The bike has already had the swing arm bearings moly greased, the guy told me that they're not greased from the factory this is a known issue. It has a brand new Dep S7 exhaust fitted, a 52T renthal rear sprocket and Pro Taper high bend bars which suit me. The previous rider was a similar height and weight. All in all I'm very happy so far and can't wait till next Sunday to get it out on the track for a shakedown. Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

Kev.

KAW250

I belive your worring way to much... I bought my son a 08 RMZ 250 here in Texas. He's got just over 65 hours. We use Rotella (30 wt) oil. We've never had any problems with the shifting (hitting nutral) of any kind. I had the valves set at 60 hours and the bike was still starting easly and running good.

As far as valves it's been better than the 05 YZF we had. We set them more offen. We've now (60 hr) installed a 290 kit and this bike works very well with it. Almost a 450 with 250 weight. Works good for my 165 lb starting center (2A) son... Take a beating on friday night and rides 250F "A" on Saturday & 13 - 29 "A" on Sunday....

We're still useing the stock clutch.... Of corse we ride more off road then MX.

I say go ride....

Thanks for the info.

KAW250

I belive your worring way to much...

I think you've misunderstood me, I'm not worried in the slightest, its a brand new bike, I'm just looking forward to thrashing it round the track. I'm not worried about the valves or gearbox at all really. I'm just looking for solid advice about what maintenance problems to expect and tips for the best ways to keep it fresh and problem free.

I have two Kx250's, neither of which I've been overly worried about riding hard. Knowing how the gearboxes are designed I've never been to worried about clutching at every gear change. Yes I've slipped the clutch out of corners and when on WOT going up the gears but I can't see how its protecting the transmission, its constant mesh sequential gearing and it puts up with all the stresses of jumps and the instant drivetrain jarring that goes with them.

However, I have heard that riding a fourstroke as hard as this may hurt the clutch because of the engine braking and the torque etc. What input do you guys have here? Please don't tell me to use the clutch on every gear change because A) I don't believe you need to do this and ? I'm never going to ride like that anyway. Thanks.

No its not provoking Zonk. Its just that everyone thats ever said this to me can never back it up with technical fact as to why it wrecks gearboxes. Most people can't even describe its operation. If a gearbox is designed for clutchless shifting then why use the clutch? Any other kind of constant mesh sequential gearbox used in motorsport (rally cars/racing karts/touring cars) has no argument surrounding the use of clutches except this one. I'm not aggro about this but if someone can offer a sound and reasonable technical description of why it damages them I will believe it more. Wheather you feed in full power with the clutch or not eventually the engaged gears are going to be under the same strain. I do use the clutch a bit, but only when I'm really giving the bike stick. I've heard that the Suzuli gearboxes have a reputation for being 'soft' that's why I bring this up here, to try and settle the question mark in my mind. Thanks, Kev.

• Like 1

Ah-ha! Who dares wins in Ebay! It's an ace bike mate, sorry I have to be honest, and at £2660 I think I stole it! My max bid was 3k, a new 08 up here in the showroom is 3.8-4k, one with 3 rides on it I would say 3k upwards. I even drove from scotland and back the day after I won it.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the RMZ out for its first day at the track yesterday. It was faultless all day. I had to do a bit of fettling with the forks before I was completely happy, it is such an easy bike to turn in on, there's a couple of tight berms I don't usually like because they go straight into tabletops but with this bike I was miles better at getting on the right line and setup for the jump face. Here's a pic of the landing from the big one. Kev is happy!

RMZ014.jpg

You bought that for £2660?!!!! That was a steal.

I sold my '07 for £2550 about three months ago, so you'd expect a tidy '08 to be making nearer to £3k. Those S7 pipes are quite expensive too, whats it like? I suppose if you've not got the stock pipe you cant really compare.

I put about 50hours on my '07 and I bought it second hand with a claimed 30hours on it. I had no issues with it at all. The clutch is claimed to be the weak spot on the Zook's 250f but I had no problems, but like you I didn't use it for anything but starting and stopping. It did have a tendancy to skip out of gear/find a false neutral when shifting under hard acceleration between 2nd and 3rd, but this went away after a few weeks, possibly as I got the knack of being more precise with the shifts or because I changed the oil regualr i'm not sure.

Nice bike, I should never have sold it - am looking for an '08 or possibly an '09 - Suzuki are offering them with 0% for a year and the local dealer has them at £3995!

I know mate, I really do think I stole it at the price I paid, I'm not really sure how or why it never went for more? I mean its got to be worth 3k all day long, I double checked the frame no and it is an 08. When the auction was close to ending I bid £3000 and it sat at £2660 and never went higher. I couldn't believe it. I paid extra for the Dep S7 but I've got the standard exhaust too. The guy who sold it was very genuine and said the chairman of his club bought it new, used it once then went to India to work and decided to sell it, so John - the owner I bought it from, had it off his mate. He changed the graphics, bars, exhaust and rear sprocket to the 52T renthal, used it in two practice sessions then got put up to expert class and decided to sell it and get a 2 stroke 250. I was dubious about it having only done 3 hours but after viewing it and riding it you can tell it's as fresh as a secondhand-new bike gets. I bought an hour meter and fitted it to my car and drove around till it notched up 3hrs, then put it on the RMZ. It's now at 3.8, and it had an oil change before I bought it so, at 4 I'll change the oil and the filter then start oil changes every 2-3 hours and filter changes every second oil change. I'm still waiting on the original purchaser to get back from India in February then he'll send me the spares package and the manual. I really want to check service intervals for the valve clearances and stuff as I'll be staying well and truly on top of things. I had it out for a quick blast round the track on Friday and my god it is a brute when you rev it out, I never rode for long because half the track was literally an ice rink, I'm looking forward to the summer with it thats for sure. John said that the Dep pipe made a very noteable improvement, and to me it feels faster than my mates 05yzf 250 and his 07 ktm250. The proof will be in my lap times, I bought it mainly because my kx250 was too much of an animal at my local track, so I wanted a softer easier bike for there, kx is staying for other tracks though. Only issue I have with the RMZ so far is finding neutral, I have literally seen me sit there for 2-3mins after a stall/off trying to find neutral. I wondered about the detent spring.

I bought an hour meter and fitted it to my car and drove around till it notched up 3hrs, then put it on the RMZ.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who's done this before!!!!!

If you get desperate waiting for the guy to get back and send you the manual you could always get a new one from a Suzuki dealer. I thought they would be quite pricey and probably need to be ordered in, but when I enquired I got one sent NEXT DAY for £14! I couldn't believe it!

Only issue I have with the RMZ so far is finding neutral, I have literally seen me sit there for 2-3mins after a stall/off trying to find neutral. I wondered about the detent spring.

I seem to be having a hard time finding neutral after stalling as well, that is the only - I've noticed yet though.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who's done this before!!!!!

If you get desperate waiting for the guy to get back and send you the manual you could always get a new one from a Suzuki dealer. I thought they would be quite pricey and probably need to be ordered in, but when I enquired I got one sent NEXT DAY for £14! I couldn't believe it!

Thanks, £14 is fairly acceptable I'd say. Yeah I thought it was more dodgy just leaving the meter at zero hours to be honest. This way I have the correct datum for maintenance and when I sell it it'll be a true reflection of the work done. I told John that I wasn't too fussed if it was an 08 with 3 or 13 hours, just as long as it was honest so I could see where I was with valves and pistons etc... He said there was no way it had done more than 3 hours, and you always overestimate actual hours done in my opinion. So together with that info, the condition of the bike and the fact that I couldn't find any reason to doubt his words I was happy to assume it sat at the 3hr mark.

I seem to be having a hard time finding neutral after stalling as well, that is the only - I've noticed yet though.

Yeah? Hmmm not just me then. Maybe its just the way it is then and I'll get used to it.