Long wheelies engine lubrication and fuel loss

8 replies to this topic
  • sabin

Posted June 29, 2002 - 10:26 PM

Does anyone know any issues about engine lubrication on long wheelies?
Another question is how to make the carb not losing so much fuel out of the vents on wheelies?

• freestyle111

Posted June 30, 2002 - 02:20 AM

if your on streetbike doing long wheelies oil is stuck at back of motor[but for a damaged to be done it would have to be a seriously long wheelie.its not a problem yz and wr's since oil is in frame and as it enters motor its distibuted to several different parts of motor.doing a long wheelie is no different then going up a real steep hill.have you ever heard anyone say "if you climb that hill your oil will flow to back of motor and the lack of lubrication will cause engine damage"if you have or ever do give him a good slap!

• SoCalWR426

Posted June 30, 2002 - 06:14 AM

Sabin's in Bulgaria?...And I thought the Blue Missile was a long way off!
Welcome to TTalk....As I understand it, you have some wonderful and scenic riding available to you..

SoCal

• Mark_Cantrell

Posted June 30, 2002 - 03:56 PM

This is way off topic. Just got me thinking.

Used to fly a Citabria, a cloth covered piper cub looking fore and aft two seat high wing plane that was cerified as an aerobatic plane (flew other aerobatic planes also but they were better equipped).

Anyway, this plane did not have an inverted oil system. But it didn't matter much because it didn't have inverted fuel either. You could fly upside down as long as you could glide upside down. No longer.

mwc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueFox

Posted June 30, 2002 - 06:00 PM

Luckily, most aerobatics are completed under positive G anyway. Even if you're upside down, as long as you don't push, its still feeding fuel and oil normally. The Citabria sure is a pretty plane. I'm trying to talk my wife into an ultralight, mostly for low maintenence costs and cheap hanger space. Haven't decided which is more dangerous. My money is on the WR, as I have crashed it almost every time I've ridden, and I've yet to crash an airplane (knock on wood).
Keith

• AK-thumper

Posted July 01, 2002 - 06:27 AM

Reposition the vent lines higher and maybe a bit forward. That should keep the fuel from coming out of the vents when doing wheelies. I don't think lubrication is a problem. Honda is the one that puts pickups forward on several wet-sump streetbikes. Never been a problem on Yamahas.

• sabin

Posted July 01, 2002 - 08:52 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoCalWR426:
[QB]Sabin's in Bulgaria?...And I thought the Blue Missile was a long way off!
Welcome to TTalk....As I understand it, you have some wonderful and scenic riding available to you..

Thank you SoCal,
and yes we are having great riding in over here in BG. You can check my web page for some pics.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted July 03, 2002 - 05:10 PM

I am interested to find out how long of a wheelie we are talking about, are you related to Doug Dokomos the wheelie king?

• sabin

Posted July 03, 2002 - 09:36 PM

Just a couple of km (about 1 ml), but they are getting londer and longer :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.