What's the best steering stabilizer for a 99 yz400f?

11 replies to this topic
  • therealjuggernaut

Posted November 15, 2008 - 03:13 PM

I bought my YZ almost a year and a half ago and have it just about where I want it. It kicks on the first try every time, Dick's Racing did the suspension, I have replaced and rebuilt about half the bike. I decided yesterday after a solid shred through the ElDorado national forest (Elkins Flat/PiPi) that a steering stabilizer is probably warranted. Since every third or fourth root wanted to rip the wheel out of my hands. Let me know what you think works the best. Above Bar/Below Bar and Type. Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2008 - 06:13 PM

Scotts is the best damper available, period.

How you mount it is up to you. Mine's in the standard over the bars pose, but the SUB mount works out well, too.

• desert-rat660

Posted November 15, 2008 - 09:33 PM

ohlins also has a stabalizer out for mx bikes, but it will cost u close to $700.00
i plan on getting one in the future seeing as someone stole my scotts

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2008 - 10:42 PM

(psst, dirty little secret): The Scotts IS an Ohlins.

• desert-rat660

Posted November 16, 2008 - 07:07 AM

ya i heard ohlins owns scotts, they still are two different dampers

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2008 - 08:41 AM

Ohlins does not own Scotts. Scotts markets re-branded Ohlins dampers in the US. In Europe, that exact damper sells with the Ohlins name on it, and they can be seen with the Ohlins brand on them as OEM equipment on some KTM quads.

Ohlins has just recently, or will shortly, market an upgraded model of the sweeping vane type damper that I have no details on, but I recall the price was to be around $700.

Ohlins does also make a telescoping type damper:

http://www.gravespor...ion&key=SD__068

But these do not offer the level of adjustablity that the vane type does. The Scotts sweeping vane style is adjustable for both high and low speed damping, and for sweep in either direction independently.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt_W

Posted November 16, 2008 - 10:18 AM

Scotts is the best damper available, period.

How you mount it is up to you. Mine's in the standard over the bars pose, but the SUB mount works out well, too.

Agreed !! I have a Scott's on my YZ450F and a GPR 2.0 on my YZ 250 2T. The Scott's has a much better feel at both high and low speeds, in terms of how fast the bars are twitching. The Scott's works well at slow speeds without letting you know it's there; in other words the steering is still smooth. The GPR really slows the steering up at slow speeds and feels like it's working against you even during normal steering. At high speeds, both systems work equally well. But for the slow tight technical woods riding, I prefer the Scott's hands down !!

• therealjuggernaut

Posted November 16, 2008 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for all the input, I found the GPR at a local store for $425. That's probably the way I'll go.

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2008 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for all the input, I found the GPR at a local store for $425. That's probably the way I'll go.

Interesting. Well, it's your money.

• therealjuggernaut

Posted November 24, 2008 - 07:20 PM

I haven't been able to find a Scott's for that price GrayRacer and unfortunately with 2 kids I usually end up running what I can afford. If you know somewhere that's running a sale on scott's post the link I think I'd rather go that way anyway.

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2008 - 08:37 PM

I haven't been able to find a Scott's for that price GrayRacer and unfortunately with 2 kids I usually end up running what I can afford. If you know somewhere that's running a sale on scott's post the link I think I'd rather go that way anyway.

Retail from Scotts:

http://www.scottsonl...On=F&BI_ID=7056

Call the TT store and ask for their price.

• therealjuggernaut

Posted November 25, 2008 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the link GrayRacer, I'll check it out. haven't actually ordered one yet.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.