New WR450 owner

19 replies to this topic
  • desdave

Posted November 15, 2008 - 08:10 AM

Well, I came to the dark side. Just picked up an 08 WR450 yesterday. It's replacing an 03 KTM 300, absolutely awesome bike, but thought I'd try a 4 stroke again (my son just got an 08 yz 450 and I got jealous). Last one was an XR 650, and I swore I'd never have another without the magic button, and didn't weigh a metric ton. I'm in So Cal, District 37 Magnum Expert, M5 in 05, although haven't race much in the last 2 years....ready to get back to it though, and the new bike should provide the motivation.

Already did the AIS removal/rejet with the GYTR kit, grey wire removed, airbox opened up...will go from there as I ride it and see what it needs. Have a gpr stab and fmf Q on order. All the usual guards will be added too (I see to always find that one rock with my name on it). First ride later today to break it in. Any other D37 guys on here? What are you running for carb setup for the dez? Diffinitely more to jetting setup than a 2 stroke...I have that process dialed int. BTW, are you guys leaving the coolant catch tank on, or just running an overflow tube? And let the fun begin!

• buggs bunny

Posted November 15, 2008 - 08:35 AM

congratulations on your new bike:cheers:

look into a jd jet kit when you get your new exhaust,that will make your bike rip.and remove the gray wire under left # plate that will give you the yz ignition curve a little more snappy.GOOD LUCK!

• YamaLink

Posted November 15, 2008 - 09:00 AM

Speaking of jetting setup, I don't know what elevation range your ride, but a fuelscrew may be a good idea to fine tune your carb once jetting is sorted out.

Congrats on the new bike!

• desdave

Posted November 15, 2008 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the tips. Riding is almost exclusively so cal high desert (2400 - 3000 ft). Looks like my break in ride may get delayed....big fire north end of LA has the freeways closed/jammed right where I have to drive thru (hwy126/5 fwy intersection).

• simica

Posted November 15, 2008 - 11:31 AM

Welcome Dave and congrats on the new bike, I'm gealous! I also race D37, mostly the Big 6 GP series and SRA races. I just had arthoscopic knee surgery yesterday (work injury), so I'm probably done riding til January. I have an '05 WR 450 with everything done to it thats possible performance wise, and I love it. Suspension is next. The WR is a great all purpose race bike as long as you don't do too much MX, but it will hang with other MX fourstrokes on the long GP style hole shots. I just read where the pro team and expert team at the 24 hour GP at Glen Helen won on WR's. Good luck and hope you get back into racing!

• desdave

Posted November 15, 2008 - 07:12 PM

Simica, I'm in the Viewfinders, have you done our gp in Ridgecrest? Just got home from doing 30 mi. breakin ride at Hungry Valley. After about 20 minutes of getting comfy on it, it felt really good....great ergos, everything was right where it should be. Still has the stock exhaust (fmf Q on order), but the power is awesome. With the jet changes that the dealer did with the ais removal kit it carburates really cleanly....not bog, stall, poping etc, just takes throttle crisply from very low rpm. My sons YZF on the other hand will need some work....stalls (flywheel weight), pops and bogs some. Suspension definitely softish. Front wants to ride low in the stroke thru whoops. Maybe just the next heavier springs? Might try that first, cuz they'd be needed with a revalve anyway (I'm 210 or so all geared up). Rear felt ok, maybe some tendency to kick that can be worked out with clickers. Anyway, all I have to say is if could cook I'd marry it (meaning I am stoked).

• Baja trail Rider

Posted November 15, 2008 - 07:34 PM

Leave the coolent tank on,we are running all coolent with no water no over heating on slow tec trails,hill climbing.

• desdave

Posted November 15, 2008 - 07:50 PM

Makes sense, plus I saw some other posts regarding the overflow tank and it was generally agreed to leave it on. I guess I'm just showing my old school age by wanting to take off anything that isn't absolutely required cuz it's just one more thing to break/fall off.

• simica

Posted November 15, 2008 - 08:49 PM

Glad you had a good first ride today Dave. Any problems getting to HV with the fwy closures cuz of the fires? I'm a volunteer up at HV so very familiar with the park. Yes, I did the Ridgecrest race in '04, '05, and '07, one of my favorites, but also a long way to drive.

I have stiffer springs front and rear which made a big difference, but no revalving yet. I have always felt that I wasn't a good enough rider to be able to tell a shop what it was doing or what I wanted.

If you ever need a riding partner at HV, pm me.

• desdave

Posted November 15, 2008 - 09:11 PM

Will do, always nice to ride with new folks, I'll IM you next trip there. As to suspension mods, if it isn't doing anything bad that gets your attention, then maybe you're good to go. In general, any of the places doing suspension have a "standard" setup based on your type of riding, weight with full gear and skill level that will get you in the ballpark. And most offer rework if you aren't happy with how it works. I am of the opinion that suspension setup is the best bang for your buck in going faster. Horsepower only goes so far if the suspension won't let you use it. Stock suspension is pretty awesome these days, but still a compromise. The WR seems set more for woods/tight trail work than fast desert, but the fix is just a revalve/respring away, and you'd be amazed at the difference even if you thought you were ok with it before. My xr650 would just eat high speed desert whoops/cross grain after I had Precision Concepts do the forks/shock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dustdogg

Posted November 15, 2008 - 10:40 PM

Will do, always nice to ride with new folks, I'll IM you next trip there. As to suspension mods, if it isn't doing anything bad that gets your attention, then maybe you're good to go. In general, any of the places doing suspension have a "standard" setup based on your type of riding, weight with full gear and skill level that will get you in the ballpark. And most offer rework if you aren't happy with how it works. I am of the opinion that suspension setup is the best bang for your buck in going faster. Horsepower only goes so far if the suspension won't let you use it. Stock suspension is pretty awesome these days, but still a compromise. The WR seems set more for woods/tight trail work than fast desert, but the fix is just a revalve/respring away, and you'd be amazed at the difference even if you thought you were ok with it before. My xr650 would just eat high speed desert whoops/cross grain after I had Precision Concepts do the forks/shock.

I sent my WR suspension to Precision Concepts too and they did a great job. Much better in the whoops and they also got rid of the kick that you mentioned. I have also heard good things about ESP for suspension work too. Out of all the upgrades I have done the Precision Concepts Suspension and Scotts stabilizer have been the most noticable. I would recommend that you get a little more time on your bike with the stock suspension so that you can give the suspension tuner a good idea of what changes you would like to see. Enjoy the new bike:ride:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 17, 2008 - 09:17 AM

Well, I came to the dark side. Just picked up an 08 WR450 yesterday. It's replacing an 03 KTM 300, absolutely awesome bike, but thought I'd try a 4 stroke again (my son just got an 08 yz 450 and I got jealous). Last one was an XR 650, and I swore I'd never have another without the magic button, and didn't weigh a metric ton. I'm in So Cal, District 37 Magnum Expert, M5 in 05, although haven't race much in the last 2 years....ready to get back to it though, and the new bike should provide the motivation.

Already did the AIS removal/rejet with the GYTR kit, grey wire removed, airbox opened up...will go from there as I ride it and see what it needs. Have a gpr stab and fmf Q on order. All the usual guards will be added too (I see to always find that one rock with my name on it). First ride later today to break it in. Any other D37 guys on here? What are you running for carb setup for the dez? Diffinitely more to jetting setup than a 2 stroke...I have that process dialed int. BTW, are you guys leaving the coolant catch tank on, or just running an overflow tube? And let the fun begin!

I'm also a D37 desert racer. But I normally do enduro and H&H only. Otherwise, I am plated and ride up in big bear.

I have an 05 wr and its a pretty darn good bike once you get used to the weight. Yours should feel a lot lighter than mine. I now race a yz250, but miss the smooth throttle and plush suspension of the heavier wr. But I don't miss the weight and the end of a long enduro.

I have the JD jet kit and have a 48 pilot, 168 main, red needle 3rd position. The works well for me at anywhere from 3000 to 7500 feet.

Be sure to reroute the carb vent hoses if you plan on doing any water crossings.

• ThompsonV311

Posted November 17, 2008 - 04:22 PM

Hey Dave, Great to see another D37 guy in here running a WR. I have been racing on the 07 for a year and a half and can't say enough about the bike. I have done all the mods Ie: block off, JD jet kit, air box mods, grey wire, DRD full exh skidplate, etc. The WR forks just didn't ride how I wanted them to even after having them done by Clark at Noleen, so I swapped them out with 07 YZ forks. Then sent them to Suspension by JAKE. He has done a really good job on my bike. Super plush and no bottoming. As far as the coolant catch tank, I pulled it off the bike the day I bought it. Just drained the green and replaced with Engine Ice,and never had a problem in any of our races with boiling, Invaders, DMC Nat. 100's Nat, etc. and you know how those courses were. The extra weight of the electric start over the YZ is worth it. I kick it on the starts but use the button if I end up stalling in the rocks. It always starts up halfway through the kick stroke in 2nd gear, and pulls hard all the way up the bomb. I have lead or been top 3 to the bomb on the Ammie line 6 or 7 times since I bought the WR. You're gonna love the bike once you get it dialed. Are you racing RHR? I probably won't be racing but i am a member of SoCal MC and should be out for pit support. Come on by our camp and find me if you have any questions or whatever. See you in the Dez!

Justin Thompson V11

• dirtydog1

Posted November 17, 2008 - 06:03 PM

I just received an early Christmas present, an 07 WR450 and I was tod to fix the throttle stop. How do I do this?

• desdave

Posted November 17, 2008 - 06:47 PM

Justin, how ya doing. No races for the rest of 08, be out for Jackrabbits for 09 with my son...he just got an 08 yz450 so we're going thru the setup deal together. I am coming off a KTM 300 which so far is my favorite race bike. The most 4 stroke like 2 stroke on the planet.

• ThompsonV311

Posted November 17, 2008 - 09:34 PM

Actually now it turns out that I should be able to race RHR. I need one more transfer for that Red Bar and the wife wants me to get er' done. I'm in Victorville so if you and your son ever want to get some desert practice hit me up on the district board (ThompsonV11). I know a few other Am's and Experts out here that like to chase each other around the desert on play rides.

• desdave

Posted November 18, 2008 - 03:51 AM

Sounds good Justin. I'll stay in touch about a play ride...I meet friends in Lucerne or El Mirage often. Congrats on your pending red stripe, but be warned, the front line is a whole new deal. I actually made expert twice, once as a senior, then didn't race for a few years, then again when I turned magnum. Did 20 plus races for a few years, earned #5 in 05, and now taking a break again. Funny, cuz my last ammie # was 11 also, got a nice little placard at the award banquet for being top Mag ammie that year. Planning to hit it again next year.

I think the WR will be a great race bike, it feels lighter than the numbers say, and handles great even with the soft suspension. You replaced the forks and shock? What was it about stock that couldn't be fixed? Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe there is more power to be had by playing with the jetting, but with the jets that came with the gytr ais block off kit, the gray wire off, and the airbox opened up it carburates really good, no bog, stalls etc and revs to the moon. Waiting for my fmf Q4, so that should liven it up some more.

My son is a deputy sheriff in Palmdale, and has variable days off, but want to get back into racing next year too. He's mucho fast. See ya later, and hope to see you out at the races or a play ride soon.

Dave Springer

• desdave

Posted November 18, 2008 - 03:56 AM

I just received an early Christmas present, an 07 WR450 and I was tod to fix the throttle stop. How do I do this?

You can cut down the stock one to the same length as the YZ stop, or just buy a Yz one at the dealer. Better yet, get the gytr ais block off kick which comes with a block off plate, yz throttle stop and new needle, main and pilot jets. It was only about $40, and along with opening the air box and disconnecting the famous grey wire accomplishes all of the basic mods to liven up the wr.

• buggs bunny

Posted November 18, 2008 - 09:57 AM

You can cut down the stock one to the same length as the YZ stop, or just buy a Yz one at the dealer. Better yet, get the gytr ais block off kick which comes with a block off plate, yz throttle stop and new needle, main and pilot jets. It was only about $40, and along with opening the air box and disconnecting the famous grey wire accomplishes all of the basic mods to liven up the wr.

cut yours to 1 inch total length,if your cheap.

the new screw was 15$ at the dealer:thumbsup:

• ThompsonV311

Posted November 18, 2008 - 04:53 PM

Sounds good Justin. I'll stay in touch about a play ride...I meet friends in Lucerne or El Mirage often. Congrats on your pending red stripe, but be warned, the front line is a whole new deal. I actually made expert twice, once as a senior, then didn't race for a few years, then again when I turned magnum. Did 20 plus races for a few years, earned #5 in 05, and now taking a break again. Funny, cuz my last ammie # was 11 also, got a nice little placard at the award banquet for being top Mag ammie that year. Planning to hit it again next year.

I think the WR will be a great race bike, it feels lighter than the numbers say, and handles great even with the soft suspension. You replaced the forks and shock? What was it about stock that couldn't be fixed? Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe there is more power to be had by playing with the jetting, but with the jets that came with the gytr ais block off kit, the gray wire off, and the airbox opened up it carburates really good, no bog, stalls etc and revs to the moon. Waiting for my fmf Q4, so that should liven it up some more.

My son is a deputy sheriff in Palmdale, and has variable days off, but want to get back into racing next year too. He's mucho fast. See ya later, and hope to see you out at the races or a play ride soon.

Dave Springer

Yeah I have been told it is like a two hour bomb run up on the expert line. Part of me can't wait another part of me can. Haha. As far as suspension I only swapped out the forks. The rear shock was just re sprung and re valved. The 06-09 YZ forks are the twin chamber KYB's and in stock valving ride better than re worked WR forks. Noleen racing who had done my two previous bikes re worked them five times and could never get rid of the bottoming without them feeling too harsh and killing me in the rocks. The new forks made it a cadillac of a desert sled. I also switched suspension tuners to Jake Thompson, which has been great as well. If we hook up I'll let you to take a spin on my bike and you can see the difference for yourself.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.