08 Engine Side Covers (Paint)

13 replies to this topic
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 13, 2008 - 10:15 AM

For those who have black engine side covers, what do you do to "touch em up" spray paint? im looking something that will make them look like new that wont rub off right a way. any ideas would be great.
Thanks

• erickdj

Posted November 13, 2008 - 11:14 AM

I've seen a bike that got the covers sprayed with some Line-X, it looked really trick and wouldn't wear or chip off, after every wash it looked brand new again. When I saw it the owner had already had it like that for a while and it looked like he had just sprayed it the day before.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 13, 2008 - 11:32 AM

I've seen a bike that got the covers sprayed with some Line-X, it looked really trick and wouldn't wear or chip off, after every wash it looked brand new again. When I saw it the owner had already had it like that for a while and it looked like he had just sprayed it the day before.

that would be nice but im looking for something a littel cheaper:thumbsup:

• tdamore

Posted November 13, 2008 - 12:29 PM

I am getting mine powder coated as we speak for about $40. You could rattle can them, but it will wear off almost instantly and look worse than it does now.

• mazzuca21366

Posted November 14, 2008 - 07:27 AM

+1 on the linex. My customer had the inside of his Jeep Rubicon sprayed. This stuff hols up like iron!

• KAS

Posted November 14, 2008 - 07:51 AM

Any kind of painting is a waste of time.

Powder coating would be better, but its still going to wear off. Same goes for anodizing.

The Line-X thing sounds interesting. I'd like to see how that holds up, and how it looks.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2008 - 08:01 AM

Powder coating would be better, but its still going to wear off. Same goes for anodizing.

Hard anodizing won't rub off very easily at all, but it's apt to be pricey.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted November 14, 2008 - 10:16 AM

getting the covers sprayed with line-x shouldn't be expensive at all. Sure, it will cost more that one can of spray paint, but it will last much longer. I don't see it falling off on its own, the only way it would come off would be due to hard direct impacts with a rock or something, and at that point you'd have bigger problems than the coating coming off.

• Wyatt

Posted November 14, 2008 - 12:14 PM

I say just strip them and go raw. That black only looks good the day you bring it home.

• Family Man

Posted November 14, 2008 - 06:47 PM

I wunder if you could chrome plate them?

• Aka.Goose

Posted November 15, 2008 - 06:57 PM

The line-x only cost me $15 bucks to have both my carbon fiber frame guards sprayed (also with a couple UV protective clear coats)...Super cheap...Keep in mind they don't have to put the texture in it, so you can get a nice glossy finish (other colors available too)...It's been holding up really well, only a few small scratches from constant boot rub...Holds up WAAAAY better than any paint I know of...

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 16, 2008 - 03:59 PM

The line-x only cost me $15 bucks to have both my carbon fiber frame guards sprayed (also with a couple UV protective clear coats)...Super cheap...Keep in mind they don't have to put the texture in it, so you can get a nice glossy finish (other colors available too)...It's been holding up really well, only a few small scratches from constant boot rub...Holds up WAAAAY better than any paint I know of...

Can you post up some pictures?

• Aka.Goose

Posted November 17, 2008 - 11:05 AM

dirty...
Posted Image
with a quick wipe...
Posted Image
the other side...
Posted Image
probably about 15hrs ride time on the guards...I thought my boots would tear through it, but they barely scratch 'em...

• tdamore

Posted November 20, 2008 - 11:18 AM

My buddy painted his covers with some automotive wheel paint made by duplicolor that he found at pep boys. I am actually pretty impressed with it. So far he has 3 rides on it and they look great. He said he took his time prepping the covers by sanding them with some 320 grit and spraying them down with brake cleaner so that may have something to do with it but I'll still take powder coating or line-x over it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.