Which Oil

9 replies to this topic
  • Russ_P

Posted February 11, 2001 - 02:02 PM

My local shop sells 3 different engine oils.
Silkolene, Golden Spectro, and Royal Purple.
The Silkolene is a synthetic blend and the others are a full synthetic. Does anyone have experience with these oils?

• Ynahg

Posted February 21, 2001 - 04:00 AM

Originally posted by Russ P:
My local shop sells 3 different engine oils.
Silkolene, Golden Spectro, and Royal Purple.
The Silkolene is a synthetic blend and the others are a full synthetic. Does anyone have experience with these oils?

As synthetics are more shear stable and are able to resist higher temperatures I would recommend you to use a real 100% full synthetic oil.
These types of engines are a motor oil's worst nightmare : high revs, common gear box, hot clutch, dirty environment.
To preserve your Blue Thumper change oil after max. 5 rides

• Sandracer_uk

Posted February 21, 2001 - 12:36 PM

i've heard it said that semi synthetic oils are best in these engines not fully synthetic....any views?

• Boit

Posted February 21, 2001 - 05:17 PM

There is plenty of info on the internet about what oil is best for any partciular application. The thing to keep in mind concerning motorcycles with wet clutches is to avoid synthetics with friction modifiers. Most synthetics are excellent choices as long as these additives are avoided.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted February 22, 2001 - 07:55 AM

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Russ_P

Posted February 22, 2001 - 09:18 AM

Ron in So CAL
Are you a dealer for Torco? I have heard of
the brand before. What does it have to offer?

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted February 22, 2001 - 11:37 AM

Russ: Nope, I am not a dealer.

Deciding what oil to use can be a science in itself. For me, it was as simple as asking a guy I know who is a engine builder/mechanic for a successful motocross team that races YZF's. His advice to me was this:

"Use a petroleum based oil for the first 500 miles on the new bike, then switch to a semi-synthetic oil and ride it hard. Always stick to the same brand once you start using it, and change it often." Then I noticed he was using Torco MPZ in his engines, so I decided to use what he was using.

It is kind of expensive, but I was able to find a Torco distributor that lives three blocks from my house and he sells it to me for half the price they ask at the local shop. Still, at $4 a quart is expensive. Click on the Torco image above to go to their web site and read all about it. Also look for a distributor in your area.

The stuff I've been using is Torco MPZ part number T642050. Many swear by other oils (Mobil 1, for example), and I'm sure it works just fine. I have heard lots of good things about MPZ, so I use it.

Just my humble opinion…

• MN_Kevin

Posted February 22, 2001 - 01:13 PM

No matter which oil you do use, you will get a buttload of Yeahs and Neahs. I suggest using a dartboard. Divide it into different brands, close your eyes and take your best shot. When it lands on Penzoil, you'll get pissed and go with the Mobil 1. Then and only then will you find out what you really wanted to use.

I use Mobil 1.

'99 WZ with all YZ mods, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action, OEM YZ tank and IMS seat.

• Vincent

Posted February 22, 2001 - 02:39 PM

Mobil 1 15-50 weight

Just make sure that you buy the one without the friction modifier symbol (starburst symbol).

• Russ_P

Posted February 23, 2001 - 04:53 PM

Hey guys,
I did a search on Golden Spectro (one of
the choices at the shop) and I stumbled
across a very informative paper. Here's
the link http://www.xs11.com/...es/mcnoil94.htm
Being an Engineer myself I like to see
actual test data end dissregard the BS
from so called experts like race team
managers. Don't get me wrong, some of these
guys are brilliant, most are full of themselves. The article is a bit dated but
I believe nothing much has changed since then. Interestingly enough they found good old Mobile 1 to be the best of what they tested I guess I'll give a try. Let's continue the dialouge.

'00 WR 400

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.