XR 400 KICKS ASS !!!!

17 replies to this topic
  • WRipper

Posted January 18, 2003 - 09:15 PM

JUST KIDDING,
I RODE ONE FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY('01). YOU CAN'T COMPARE AN XR TO A WR. A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO SOMEBODY WAS TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN THE TWO. OUT OF THE CRATE, THE WR DESTROYS THE XR! FOR ALL TYPES OF RIDING, THE ONLY ADVANTAGE OF THE XR IS PRICE! MAYBE THERE ARE SOME GREAT MODS FOR THE STOCK XR??????

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted January 18, 2003 - 10:12 PM

Ripper, your comparison is a joke since no one has ridden a WR450 yet. So hold your tongue till the reports are in. A properly set up XR440 is hard to beat. I never had a YZ/WR426 beat me yet in the woods except with maybe Randy Hawkins or Barry Hawk on it and I saw Scott Summers whip up on them the other day with an old XR600.
Cher'o,
Dwight

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 18, 2003 - 10:29 PM

I was waiting for it :) ahhh the bite :D

• drkarnes

Posted January 18, 2003 - 11:35 PM

Comparisons that say, "this racer" or "that racer" took an XR and whipped "so and so" are useless. Carmichael can take an XR and smoke me and my YZ off of any track at any time. That doesn't mean that an XR is a better MX bike than the YZ. It's all about matching the right bike with the right rider, 'cause this is about having fun.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted January 19, 2003 - 04:41 AM

I just knew in my gut that HONDA Boy would come out of the woodwork on that one..... :)

Bonzai :D

• SMD

Posted January 19, 2003 - 05:04 AM

The old dinosaurs are so predictable. :)

• Burnrider

Posted January 19, 2003 - 07:45 AM

You guys gotta admit its tough to change if you really like what you run and it brings you success. For most of us trail riding or sport racing, it is easy to make a change. I have no doubt that Dwight has hung it out big and the XRs have delivered over the years. That's as much defense as Dwight needs from any of us- I just want a newer bike!

• WRipper

Posted January 19, 2003 - 09:52 AM

My apologies to all.
Just putting in my two bits.
WRipper

• adamwagar

Posted January 19, 2003 - 11:48 AM

Sorry, I've already said this, but I had to say it again. I can go way faster on my "old school" XR400, in the woods, than I could on my '01 WR250. The XR just plain works.

But hey, ya gotta come out of the woods, eventually. You know the new WR450 will suck the headlight out of an XR400 or 440, sorry Dwight, anytime, anyplace, past second gear.

I'm keeping the old XR though. Because sometimes, second gear, is a wonderful place... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dwight_Rudder

Posted January 19, 2003 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Burnrider, y'all are right match the bike to the rider. I love lots of torque and care little for maximum HP. I am watching progress with the Yamaha's ( I was a factory rider for Yamaha way back in "78" ). I do dearly love the XRs but they do need some freshening up. I don't think the aircooled engines are bad but they need a 450 and to go back to the 600 from the too big too heavy XR650. The eros on the XR250 are good but it needs a better clutch setup and suspension work. Maybe stock with a 300cc kit. Eh? I admit I am looking around because what Honda has coming out I really don't care for. I think Honda's aluminum frames are a bad joke. I like Yamaha's frames much better but I wish they had used a longer stroke engine with a single OHC. Double Overhead cams are great for peak HP but are heavy, hard to adjust, and since when do you tune any off road machine for Peak HP ? Thank goodness, Yamaha is putting more stroke into the formula than the original 400 had. I do think the Yamaha is a more high tech machine. But there is something to be said for simplicity. I am watching the Yamaha's with interest because I think they have potential.
Cher'o,
Dwight

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted January 19, 2003 - 12:03 PM

Were you refering to me as a predictable dinosaur or the XR ?
I do think the older bikes are more predictable that is why you can go fast on them for so long. I sure have. But change is coming so I'ma looking.
Cher'o,
Dwight
2002 SERA Sr.A Enduro Champion and 2002 SERA Sr.A Hare Scramles Champion.

• Dwight_Rudder

Posted January 19, 2003 - 12:08 PM

What you doing in Second gear ? Shift to third ! Probably in a drag race on pavement a WR/YZ would eat up a XR440 but in the real world they are much closer. I haven't had anyone blow past me and I have blown past many bikes due to the XRs predictability. Now if we can get a WR450 to work like that I will be first in line to buy one.
Cher'o,
Dwight

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 19, 2003 - 01:32 PM

My friend Chris Blais is backed by factory Honda. This weekend we raced the Laughlin Hare scrambles (not together) he had his choice of bikes for the tough technical terrain, his factory 650? CRF? Nope... He chose to ride an XR400, he could've rode any bike he wanted, he told me that he didn't want any other bike for the race... I left before I got the results but I think it's safe to say that the XR400 has it's place in our world. It's smooth power delievery and tracktable handling characteristics make the bike a great choice for some.........

Dan

• Burnrider

Posted January 20, 2003 - 09:23 AM

Credit to "drkarnes" for Matching the rider to the scooter.

• WR450

Posted January 20, 2003 - 09:30 AM

In my humble opinion The XR is a Farm implement (much like a Harley) compared to the modern 4 strokes.
but then it does have its place.

just my $4.50 worth

• neWRiver

Posted January 20, 2003 - 11:12 AM

I've been riding my brother's XR250R for about a month while my WR250F is in the shop. I'm anxious to get my bike back as I feel it works very well for me. And the XR is bone stock (including the non-removable peashooter exhaust baffle). My bike has all the goodies on it and a custom suspension setup.

With that in mind, I will say that I found that this gutless XR performed exceedingly well in the enduro type trails we ride. It took a little time to readjust my riding style, but by this past weekend I had it working for me nicely on the A/B singletrack. The motor lugged better and I did not even notice the extra weight of the XR. Open desert was a different story, though. Mainly because my bike is putting out much more HP. A hopped up XR250 or a stock XR400 would probably be a more fair comparison.

I wouldn't trade in my WRF, but if that's "farming" then I wish I had been raised on a farm! :)

• Dan_from_HB

Posted January 20, 2003 - 04:49 PM

I think the XR does have its place. It's better in very slow, tight sections where HP is useless. Aside from the tightest terrain, the WR is waaaaayyyy better!
Dwight's just an old fart (like me), riding old familiar equipment, and he could still outrun any ten of the rest of us on a moped. Do you guys have any idea who this guy is? He doesn't need a WR to go fast, but if he had one, and got used to it, he'd go by us like we're tied to a tree. So, quit encouraging him! He'll make us all look like a bunch of squids.
Seriously, Dwight, you gotta get into the 21st Century here! The WR can be mastered in tight stuff with the right suspension setup, and a little clutch work. Then, once out of the tight stuff, it's no contest any more.
We can speculate about the WR450, but it's just more of a good thing. Trust me. Better yet, trust Yamaha to act in their own best interest. The WR450 and the soon-to-be-released CRF450X will be THE BEST off-road weapons for everything short of Baja and the occasional high speed GP.
Dan

• adamwagar

Posted January 20, 2003 - 05:41 PM

I think the short wheelbase of the XR250/400 is the reason for their superior handling under extremely tight trail conditions. It's way easier to bend a short bike around a corner.

WRs are longer,taller,and have WAY more horsepower. All things that make them marvels of modern 21st century technology. All things that make them a handfull in the woods.

Where would we be without farmers? :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.