Need some opinions on what's twisted.

7 replies to this topic
  • qwik12beat

Posted November 10, 2008 - 12:10 PM

I laid my 450 over the other day. I was shredding a right hand turn when i lost the front, and went down.I have gone over the bike, and found the things that need replaced. My question is about the triple clamps.
When my bars are straight, my front wheel is pointed right about an inch.The handlebars are straight, and true with the top clamp. I'm thinking i twisted the stem, but i need to hear it from someone else. One guy asked if i bent my forktube.I told him i guess it's possible, but i've been riding for 22 years, and never have seen one bend. Any other idea's or methods to check for bends? Any help is greatly appreciated.:worthy:

• mandark

Posted November 10, 2008 - 12:11 PM

Try loosening up your triple clamps and work your suspension a few times to see if it helps

• qwik12beat

Posted November 10, 2008 - 12:28 PM

Do you mean the nut on the top clamp or the bolts that clamp the forktubes?thanks for the speedy reply:thumbsup:Any special way to make sure my alignment is dead-on?I tried loosening the top clamp nut after it happen, and it didnt seem to move.

• clutchless

Posted November 10, 2008 - 01:06 PM

YZ's forks tend to slip in the stock clamps a bit more then other bikes.

just loosen them up and re align and you should be all set.

also the bar mounts on the upper clamp can get out of wack too.

re align your bars in the clamps on the measurment marks.

then make sure the bar mounts are straight, then do the forks follow up with the front wheel.

i just eyeball it.

This happens to me every other ride so i am getting good at it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha542

Posted November 10, 2008 - 01:08 PM

try loosen the triple clamp bolt that holds the top and bottom of the stem, sometimes the top and bottom t clamp can become misaligned and make the wheel cocked..... use a straight edge to check for fork tube straightness and some times just loosening the handle bar clamp and re tighten them fixes it. they are rubber mounted so they can get out of wack.

• Ga450owner

Posted November 10, 2008 - 01:38 PM

also re align your front tire/wheel
loosen the front axle bolts and correctly tighten after compressing the forks and spinning the front tire & braking:thumbsup:

• qwik12beat

Posted November 10, 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I just got it all straightened out, and raised my forks 5mm, and the difference in turning was amazing. I was even riding in the snow:ride:

• mandark

Posted November 10, 2008 - 03:01 PM

glad to hear!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.