Finally got an aluminum-framed 450!

18 replies to this topic
  • rdefonce

Posted November 10, 2008 - 09:41 AM

I couldn't wait any longer, so I finally snagged a used '08 450. Have only short ride on it but seems like a lot of fun; this thing is both quicker and lighter than my "Old Blue" '99 400F! (It's got the FMF pipe on it, so I suppose better power than with stock unit)

I will be reviewing jetting threads, etc. to see if I'm close there.
also need to replace chain/sprockets.

Offhand, anyone know the # chain links, and have a sprocket recommendation (I'm looking for durability, but also light weight, if that's possible!)

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2008 - 09:48 AM

(the '08 450) is both quicker and lighter than my "Old Blue" '99 400F!

Offhand, anyone know the # chain links, and have a sprocket recommendation (I'm looking for durability, but also light weight, if that's possible!)

Yeah, that would be a contrast, alright :worthy:

The stock chain is 114 long. What kind of riding are you going to do?

• rdefonce

Posted November 10, 2008 - 12:47 PM

Yeah, that would be a contrast, alright :worthy:

The stock chain is 114 long. What kind of riding are you going to do?

Gray, thanks for info.

I'll be doing more track riding with it than anything else, but also some off-road stuff. I'll mostly use my KTM 200 smudgepot for that though.
These two bikes (200xc-w and 450F) compliment each other nicely; very different animals, each a lot of fun, for different applications!

• Justin89

Posted November 10, 2008 - 01:40 PM

For track, try a 13/50 sprocket combo. Order either a SUNLINE or TAG. they wear like a steel sprocket but are made out of aluminum. I just got the a SUNLINE/D.i.D combo and race/practice twice a week and it shows very,very little wear. TAG and Pro Taper sprockets also wear very well. Stick away from Renthals...these 450's will chew through them quciker than a pack of tropical fruit bubblicious:banana:

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2008 - 02:08 PM

Try it with the stock gearing first. Change it if you find yourself between gears too often. I went to a 48/13 on mine so I'd shift less.

• rdefonce

Posted November 10, 2008 - 02:46 PM

For track, try a 13/50 sprocket combo. Order either a SUNLINE or TAG. they wear like a steel sprocket but are made out of aluminum. I just got the a SUNLINE/D.i.D combo and race/practice twice a week and it shows very,very little wear. TAG and Pro Taper sprockets also wear very well. Stick away from Renthals...these 450's will chew through them quciker than a pack of tropical fruit bubblicious:banana:

Ha ha, lol, tropical fruit treats for the YZ:-)))
You're using a o-ring chain, right?
thanks for quality sprocket suggestions, I'm going to order some now.

• Justin89

Posted November 10, 2008 - 07:57 PM

Ha ha, lol, tropical fruit treats for the YZ:-)))
You're using a o-ring chain, right?
thanks for quality sprocket suggestions, I'm going to order some now.

Yep Im using the O-ring. Yea like Gray said, try the stock gearing first and go from there. I use the 50t because I like the extra torquey-ness :worthy:

• Drfletcherdc

Posted November 10, 2008 - 09:22 PM

RK makes a good chain and I used the stock 49T on mine. I had good luck with the blue Renthal sprocket.

• rdefonce

Posted November 11, 2008 - 07:24 PM

Try it with the stock gearing first. Change it if you find yourself between gears too often. I went to a 48/13 on mine so I'd shift less.

So grayracer, my 450 has 49/13 . . . I'm assuming that's stock.
Guess your 48 rear sprocket would make it geared just slightly taller, but not much diff than stock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdefonce

Posted November 11, 2008 - 07:27 PM

RK makes a good chain and I used the stock 49T on mine. I had good luck with the blue Renthal sprocket.

Man that sounds like it would look cool, blue! But some of the other guys said Renthal wears fast . . . is the blue one more durable than the others?

• grayracer513

Posted November 11, 2008 - 10:03 PM

So grayracer, my 450 has 49/13 . . . I'm assuming that's stock.
Guess your 48 rear sprocket would make it geared just slightly taller, but not much diff than stock.

Yes on all counts.

• Family Man

Posted November 11, 2008 - 10:21 PM

Ive actually been getting pretty good wear out of the 50 tooth Renthal on my bike with the Regina 0rn6 chain. Seems to me like the Renthal and the Regina chain are about even in the wear department.

• grayracer513

Posted November 12, 2008 - 07:44 AM

Ive actually been getting pretty good wear out of the 50 tooth Renthal on my bike with the Regina 0rn6 chain. Seems to me like the Renthal and the Regina chain are about even in the wear department.

A chain that stays the right length will extend the life of even a softer sprocket by a very significant amount. :thumbsup:

• jeepcj776

Posted November 12, 2008 - 07:48 AM

whats the word on protaper spockets good/bad

Looking at refreshing my renthal set

• Drfletcherdc

Posted November 12, 2008 - 07:57 AM

Man that sounds like it would look cool, blue! But some of the other guys said Renthal wears fast . . . is the blue one more durable than the others?

Never had a problem with wearing out my sprockets. I use an RK xring chain and kept it stock gearing most of the time. I also had a blue 50T Renthal that I used for a specific track. The colored sprockets aren't any more durable than the others. Make sure your chain is the proper tension which will extend the life of the sprocket.

Now they have multi colored sprockets from a variety of manufacturers.

Here's what it looked like:

Posted Image

• Wyatt

Posted November 13, 2008 - 08:00 AM

Very nice looking bike. I always like the way graphics on the airbox that blend with the # plates look. I could never have any. I shred anything that goes on my airbox to pieces with my boots. I dont know how people keep those looking good.

• 328somewhere

Posted November 14, 2008 - 10:20 AM

I am a huge fan of the renthal twinring for the 450. it doesnt seem to wear regardless of what chain i have use with it. its not the most blinged out but works great.

• Justin89

Posted November 14, 2008 - 10:51 AM

whats the word on protaper spockets good/bad

Looking at refreshing my renthal set

From what I've read and heard they wear pretty good. Up there with sunline and TAG:ride:

• Justin89

Posted November 14, 2008 - 10:52 AM

I am a huge fan of the renthal twinring for the 450. it doesnt seem to wear regardless of what chain i have use with it. its not the most blinged out but works great.

I've always wanted to try a twinring but they just seem to be pretty pricy:crazy:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.