Engine Clean out

6 replies to this topic
  • jay3and88

Posted November 10, 2008 - 09:29 AM

Wondering if anyone has some advice on cleaning out my engine, what is the best stuff to clean out the bottom end of my engine ( without cracking the case open ) the top end is off so I think I could slush some kind of cleaner around in there to get any dirt or crap out. Anyone think this will work ok.

Thanks, any advice would be great.

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2008 - 09:44 AM

> What is the reason for the need to clean it out?

> What year/model?

• jay3and88

Posted November 10, 2008 - 11:01 AM

It's a 1999 yz 400, I got some water down the intake when I dumped it in a mud puddle, I made the mistake of starting the bike after and scored the cylinder so it was blowing smoke real bad. I did about six oil changes before starting the tear down, thought it might clean it out real good so I diden't have to crack the case later. I can't see any dirt at all from what I could see, but I thought it mould be a good idea to shake some kind of cleaner around in there for good measure.

What do you think?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tdamore

Posted November 10, 2008 - 12:09 PM

It's a 1999 yz 400, I got some water down the intake when I dumped it in a mud puddle, I made the mistake of starting the bike after and scored the cylinder so it was blowing smoke real bad. I did about six oil changes before starting the tear down, thought it might clean it out real good so I diden't have to crack the case later. I can't see any dirt at all from what I could see, but I thought it mould be a good idea to shake some kind of cleaner around in there for good measure.

What do you think?

I think you need to split the cases. Take it from someone who just had their motor blow up from what I discovered to be a blocked oil passage. Assuming everything checks out, you gain peace of mind for little more than some seals and a Saturday afternoon.

• jay3and88

Posted November 10, 2008 - 12:26 PM

True enough, I guess it's not that big of deal to crack it open.

• crayztwentyseven

Posted November 11, 2008 - 12:14 AM

crack it open, it is worth it. Take apart your oil pump, and then check all the bearings and seals, check the cam chain gear on the crank to see how wore it is. you have the top end apart its not that much more work to split cases and check everything. If nothing is wrong then all you will lose is a little time and 2 dollars worth of silicone.

Definately do not put some petrol(or cleaner) in there and shake it up, you may just dislodge something that was at a harmless place just to have it get mixed up in a bearing or something later.

• jay3and88

Posted November 11, 2008 - 05:42 AM

Thanks guys good enough for me, guess I was trying to take the easy way out, and it sounds like it could make thinks worse so hell with that! Case here I come!

Thanks for the reply's

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.