07 WR450 Cooked Motor??

10 replies to this topic
  • jaybread

Posted November 10, 2008 - 08:07 AM

I was on a ride Sunday when I killed the motor...it wouldn't electric start or kick start. I could hear when I kicked it the starter wasn't disengaging from the motor? I was able to push start it and it ran fine...

Except before I could get out of the boonies the coolant boiled away. The motor started sputtering/popping and wouldn't hold rpm or make any power.

It would idle but not produce power, it didn't seem like it was seizing, it seemed like the plug was fouled?

I shut it down when I got to a point a truck could get to me. It still will kick over, but the starter is still stuck engaged.

Any ideas what happened? How broke is this going to make me?
:worthy:

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 10, 2008 - 08:33 AM

So if I understand you correctly, the starter keeps trying to spin the motor while the bike is running?

Unplug your starter button (little grey one on the bars)... I have had them short now on my 04' and 07'. It's a two wire connection behind the headlight.

If your starter was continuously trying to start the motor while it was already running, it could cause all kinds of weird problems.

• jaybread

Posted November 10, 2008 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for reply!
The starter wasn't trying to start the motor--it just wouldn't disengage--I could hear the kick starter turn the starter gears when I would kick it. The electric start would turn over, but it was like it had a big drag on it and wouldn't turn fast enough to start the motor.
It was running the battery down fast also trying to electric start.
Does this help?
Thanks

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 10, 2008 - 09:02 AM

Sounds like a starter issue.. my buddy had to replace the starter in his 07' after about 6 months..

If you use the search function for 07' starter you might find some threads, seems to me I read some a while back. There was something about a whole lot, or unit of starters that got on the assembly line that failed early..

Anyway, sounds odd with the other motor symptoms...

Sorry, maybe someone else will chime in with more help.

• tweav

Posted November 10, 2008 - 04:50 PM

I'm with SJMC_DON on this one . I think your starter is messed up . Unhook it , charge your battery up , then try to kick start it. I'm betting the starter was running the whole time draining your battery enough that the ignition did not have enough power to fire correctly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted November 10, 2008 - 07:03 PM

Not the starter. More likely the starter clutch is shot. (It's bolted to the flywheel)

• tweav

Posted November 10, 2008 - 07:33 PM

starter clutch will not make the ignition missfire. it will just wieght the rotating mass . also these bikes have two starter clutches , one for the kicker and one for the electric . if it were the electic start clutch it's right under this cover . pulling it out would be a good way to test the bike without the eletric start . Posted Image

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 10, 2008 - 07:59 PM

The starter clutch is not under that cover. That's the torque limiter. The starter clutch is bolted to the flywheel with 6 bolts. You can remove the torque limiter to see if it's the starter motor that is causing the drag. If it is then I would pull the flywheel and check the starter clutch as the motor should not be driven if the clutch is working properly. It is possible to destroy the magneto coils if the starter clutch comes apart so it's probably worth a look. And there is no starter clutch per say for the kick starter but the kick starter does disengage itself when returned to the top position.

• tweav

Posted November 11, 2008 - 05:43 AM

The starter clutch is not under that cover. That's the torque limiter. The starter clutch is bolted to the flywheel with 6 bolts. You can remove the torque limiter to see if it's the starter motor that is causing the drag. If it is then I would pull the flywheel and check the starter clutch as the motor should not be driven if the clutch is working properly. It is possible to destroy the magneto coils if the starter clutch comes apart so it's probably worth a look. And there is no starter clutch per say for the kick starter but the kick starter does disengage itself when returned to the top position.

so you agree that taking out that "torque limiter" will help isolate his issue quickly and easily . I know it's much harder to pull the flywheel out then that piece . If he pulls that part and the problem goes away ,then he should pull the flywheel and checkout the clutch . Right?

as far as either starter clutch really being a true clutch . they are not . the one in question is more of a one-way bearing . the other is a mechanical starter drive of sorts.

A true clutch has pressure plates squeezing one or more friction elements . that's why is called a "clutch" because it clutches the element to lock it up , causing positive drive.

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 11, 2008 - 06:18 AM

Yes pulling the torque limiter will quickly confirm if the starter is engaged but is likely not the cause. My point is that if the stater is dragging I would take a look at the starter clutch just to be sure. A lot of stators have been torn up by the clutch coming apart/coming loose. It was very common on the 03's but has been known to occur on the newer bikes as well.

• tweav

Posted November 11, 2008 - 07:24 AM

I agree the clutch needs to be checked too. he also needs to check and make sure that the starter itself is not running all the time because it has power for some reason like the switch or the solanoid is stuck . pulling the torque limiter and charging the battery will check this too.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.