Scotts Damper

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 11, 2001 - 01:34 PM

Can someone tell me if those Scotts Steering Dampers are worth the money? Whats involved to install one on my WR? Pro's and Con's.
Thanks, Dennis :)

• Bill

Posted February 11, 2001 - 01:44 PM

This subject has been covered quite a bit here. Do a search and you'll get all of the info you could possibly want. Search by subject and also search using the name "dougie", he provided a very complete review of his thoughts of the damper.

It seems the general concensus, is that this should be one, if not the first mods you should make to your dub-R. I have not, but it is on the list. One of the other popular mods would be the YZ seat and tank combo and a aftermarket pipe. I have both already.

I'm told the damper stabilizes the bike in all riding conditions and will reduce arm pump.

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 11, 2001 - 08:50 PM

CALL TOLL FREE 866-782-4600/818-782-4600

• mcarp

Posted February 12, 2001 - 09:14 AM

The Scotts damper is a handy thing to have if you ride in rough or fast conditions. The sensation of having your bars ripped from your hands will disppear. Tough trails feel easier and rocks/roots won't deflect you off into a new direction as easily. Ruts will seem to disappear as well. Also, you can reuse the unit on other bikes. As far a quality, you won't find anything better.

The cons are cost and weight. It adds about 1 lb. of high placed weight. Also, if you're chest smacks into it, you'll be hurting pretty bad w/o a chest protector.

After using mine for about 5 months, I would venture to say it perhaps isn't THE most important mod I've done, but the trails are ride aren't 100% nasty either. I like the YZ seat/tank and better tires more than the damper as far as items that cost $ to help make the bike feel better. Note, I don't hit bowling balls size rocks or two feet deep ruts, either.

Free stuff like suspension clickers, chain shortening, fork raising, YZ timing, etc have all added to quicker handling which makes the damper that much more attactive.

• Dougie

Posted February 12, 2001 - 01:15 PM

Don't even think twice about it. Just get one. I won't bore you with my long winded explanation why. But if you need to know, do a search on "cartwheels". You won't regret this purchase.

Dougie, '99 WR400 with a lot of dumb, stupid, here take my money, I have to have them but they don't make me a better rider extra mods.
(Except the dampner :))

[This message has been edited by Dougie (edited 02-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dougie (edited 02-12-2001).]

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.