Where do I get a spanner wrench for the steering nut?

4 replies to this topic
  • 78sharpshooter

Posted November 09, 2008 - 04:21 PM

I would like to re-lube the steering bearings and don't want to tear up the aluminum nut trying to use an incorrect tool. I searched for the yamaha part but not much luck.

• grayracer513

Posted November 09, 2008 - 04:33 PM

Motion Pro or Park Tool would likely have such a thing, and if not, then certainly K&L Supply will, however, the nut is only torqued to 5 ft/lb., so I doubt you'll have any difficulty in removing it with a good pair of channel locks, which is what I use. Grip the nut by two adjacent notches, not by the outside of the ring itself.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 78sharpshooter

Posted November 09, 2008 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I missed the 5 ft-lbs torque spec so I am just going to mill 2 small T's to fit in the slots and provide a gripping surface for the wrench.

• Fastdaddy

Posted November 09, 2008 - 07:31 PM

Yamaha has a little spanner wrench with a 3/8 wratchet end on it for your torque wrench. Any Yamaha shop can get you one. I dont have the part number though.Its in the special tools section of the yz 450 owners manual.

• Stupendous

Posted November 10, 2008 - 11:46 AM

Yamaha has a little spanner wrench with a 3/8 wratchet end on it for your torque wrench. Any Yamaha shop can get you one. I dont have the part number though.Its in the special tools section of the yz 450 owners manual.

http://www.accu-prod.../prod_1445.html

That's the one you are talking about. I paid $53! But I'm anal about torque so I wanted one that would attach to my torque wrench and it was hard to find one.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.