Decisions!!! KL250 Super Sherpa vs XT225

9 replies to this topic
  • speedknot

Posted November 08, 2008 - 09:12 PM

I have the option of either getting an 02 Super Sherpa or an 07 XT225. The Sherpa has over 7000 miles on it and looks like its in great shape. Its on the market for $2500. I like the fact that it has f/r disk brakes, digital display, better lighting, and an extra 20cc's.
The XT225 is like new with only 230 miles on it and is going for $3000.
I know going with the Yamaha would get a nearly new bike for only $500 more, but I've always been partial to Kawasaki and feel like the Kawa's were built a bit better. The bike is for my wife. I'm going to act on one of these next week. I feel like this is a no brainer but I'm open to comments/suggestions. :worthy:

• hammonk

Posted November 08, 2008 - 11:53 PM

I bought a 07 XT225 for my wife this year and she loves it. The low miles on the XT would make it an easy choice for me. digital display doesn't make it a better bike, and you can get an aftermarket digital display. Lighting can be improved with an aftermarket bulb, the extra 20cc I think would be hard to notice, and with a JD jet kit for the XT it may even be better. I think parts in the long run will be easier to find on the XT. My opinion but eather way I think both of the bikes are pretty much bulletproof

• reconranger

Posted November 09, 2008 - 07:07 AM

Bought a new leftover 07 XT225 as my daily commuter ($3,200), and a beginner's ride for the kids and g/f. No regrets...fine little machine!

• Kommando

Posted November 09, 2008 - 08:00 AM

I have the option of either getting an 02 Super Sherpa or an 07 XT225. The Sherpa has over 7000 miles on it and looks like its in great shape. Its on the market for $2500. I like the fact that it has f/r disk brakes, digital display, better lighting, and an extra 20cc's.
The XT225 is like new with only 230 miles on it and is going for $3000.
I know going with the Yamaha would get a nearly new bike for only $500 more, but I've always been partial to Kawasaki and feel like the Kawa's were built a bit better. The bike is for my wife. I'm going to act on one of these next week. I feel like this is a no brainer but I'm open to comments/suggestions. :worthy:

They're pretty close. The only real advantage I see to one over the other is the rear disc on the KL250. Both are air-cooled, e-start, wide-ratio 6spd, mini packmule bikes.

• tgstoken

Posted November 09, 2008 - 09:08 AM

The Sherpa will hold its value better. I have not seen one for sale in my state for less than $2500 used.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • glbarton

Posted November 15, 2008 - 07:41 PM

I havn't ridden a XT but I love my Super Sherpa. I'm pretty short (5'4") with a 28" inseam so I feel comfortable on the Kaw. It might be a little heavy, but is stone reliable and since most of my riding is street and gravel roads, it works for me. I like the fact that it's air cooled, has good brakes, and easy to maintain. Also I see that Kaw is supposed to offer the bike again in 2009. I get great mileage as well, always in the 80-85 mpg range and the 6 speed gearing is perfect. Only thing I wish for would be Fuel Injection, the bike is cold blooded and I have to ride wtih the choke on for some time. That is only a small convenience however. Once warmed up it's fine. Good Luck on whatever you choose and ride defensively.

• nocturnal

Posted November 19, 2008 - 04:53 PM

The XT225 is rock solid. One of my 3 bikes is a 2005 XT225 and it never breaks or fails in any way. The difference in mileage stated is significant for a 250cc bike.

• easyshadow

Posted December 01, 2008 - 04:23 PM

I have a 2002 super sherpa and I love it. Super Sherpa of course!

• Yokomo

Posted December 03, 2008 - 04:13 PM

out of those 2, xt for sure

• CopaMundial

Posted December 03, 2008 - 05:57 PM

I'm going to act on one of these next week. I feel like this is a no brainer but I'm open to comments/suggestions. :thumbsup:

It's been 3 weeks. Did you end up going for one of the bikes?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.