oil plug stripped! what to do?

5 replies to this topic
  • ham426f

Posted November 08, 2008 - 09:08 PM

well,i have a 2002 wr2426f and i don't know if im too strong or just wasn't feeling its tightness. but to get to the point, the oil plug is not tightning as i messed it up good. i did not cross thread, just overtightened it. took on last turn when it was getting tight then it spun!:worthy: i am kinda freaked out cause this has never happened to me before....i hope this is not the end of the world, but right now i feel like it is. any ideas how to make right, doesn't tighten, took out oil plug bolt from bottom of motor on 2002 wr426f, metal thread were on the bolt.

friend is a metal fabricator, but i want to get as many ideas before he looks at it tomorrow! thanks all.

mike

• doctorchopper

Posted November 08, 2008 - 11:50 PM

you should be able to get a helicoil insert kit for it, they can be a bit intimedating to do as you have to drill the hole out bigger, tap the new size hole and then screw the insert in, make sure you use the proper locktite on the insert, i would suggest having someone give you a hand with it if it is your first time, just an extra set of eyes even if that person has never done it before.

• tweav

Posted November 09, 2008 - 02:32 AM

I think I would skip the whole heli-coil and just tap the hole out the next size bigger and put in that size drain plug .So if it's say an M10 now see if you have the room to cut a clean set of M12 threads if not go 1/2 inch then m14. that way you don't have to worry about pulling the heli-coil out every tim you change your oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted November 09, 2008 - 06:11 AM

Timeserts provide a permanent repair. Here's a link.

http://www.timesert..../drainplug.html

• LILBIT

Posted November 09, 2008 - 03:57 PM

I think I would skip the whole heli-coil and just tap the hole out the next size bigger and put in that size drain plug .So if it's say an M10 now see if you have the room to cut a clean set of M12 threads if not go 1/2 inch then m14. that way you don't have to worry about pulling the heli-coil out every tim you change your oil.

I just did this Saturday night. Helicoils works great most of the time but look up in the hole. There's a big notch in the side to let all of the oil drain. I was worried this was enough to cause problems with the coil and drainage. Drilled carefully and tapped to a 14 1.5 thread. Picked up a plug at Discount Auto and all is well. The tap was $10 and i had the bit. Check the price of a Heli Coil set up for this size.OUCH! Most of the time you tap for the next size up for a heli coil any way.

• ham426f

Posted November 09, 2008 - 10:36 PM

I ended up not finding a helicoil the right size..so Thanks to my buddy oPAULo we just tapped it bigger to a 1/2*20 which was like thirty thousandths bigger...worked great. oil holds..no leak so far ...i flushed and put some 10w/40 for a few minutes then flushed again, put the good stuff in her..silcolene pro 4 sx..15w/50...runs better than it ever has..quiet too!

thanks to all whom helped!

On to the next project..building a stand..haha

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.