oil plug Stripped!

9 replies to this topic
  • ham426f

Posted November 08, 2008 - 09:08 PM

well,i have a 2002 wr2426f and i don't know if im too strong or just wasn't feeling its tightness. but to get to the point, the oil plug is not tightning as i messed it up good. i did not cross thread, just overtightened it. took on last turn when it was getting tight then it spun!:worthy: i am kinda freaked out cause this has never happened to me before....i hope this is not the end of the world, but right now i feel like it is. any ideas how to make right, doesn't tighten, took out oil plug bolt from bottom of motor on 2002 wr426f, metal thread were on the bolt.

friend is a metal fabricator, but i want to get as many ideas before he looks at it tomorrow! thanks all.

mike

• tnt85

Posted November 09, 2008 - 03:35 AM

Happend to me about a month ago.
Just used green lotctite on the bolt and just started to use the other oil plu gin the sump instead, the smal one.

• intensem1rider

Posted November 09, 2008 - 07:17 AM

Your going to have to get it Helicoiled.

• mike_dean

Posted November 09, 2008 - 07:32 AM

A timesert is probably the best way, I've done my 426 with one and should last forever. Google Timesert, they are a little pricey but will be done right. Mike

• xl-one

Posted November 09, 2008 - 09:54 AM

I second the timesert idea, much better than a helicoil, we use them on automotive oil pans quite often with great sucess

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted November 09, 2008 - 10:22 AM

I dont know how the 426 drain, but I did this on my 2006 yz450f. I lost my mind at first but ended up going the helicoil route. I drain my oil about twice a week and havent had a problem since:ride:

• ham426f

Posted November 09, 2008 - 10:37 PM

I ended up not finding a helicoil the right size..so Thanks to my buddy oPAULo we just tapped it bigger to a 1/2*20 which was like thirty thousandths bigger...worked great. oil holds..no leak so far ...i flushed and put some 10w/40 for a few minutes then flushed again, put the good stuff in her..silcolene pro 4 sx..15w/50...runs better than it ever has..quiet too!

thanks to all whom helped!

On to the next project..building a stand..haha

• mazzuca21366

Posted November 12, 2008 - 06:29 AM

Use a timesert. They are the best. I use them in my shop all the time in the automotive field. Helicoils are junk.

• Matt_W

Posted November 12, 2008 - 06:39 AM

I love my 08 YZ450F, but the one thing that really pisses me off is the location of the second drain plug. The frame rail sits a mere inches away from the head of the drain bolt, so it's almost impossible to get a torque wrench on it. It sits up in far enough that I still can't get my torque wrench on it even with a crows foot :thumbsup: I don't trust myself with a regular open end wrench, because I like my stuff snug and I'm worried I'm going to strip this thing too eventually.

• grayracer513

Posted November 12, 2008 - 08:42 AM

Heli-Coils are not junk, by any means, but Time-Serts do have several advantages, especially when used to repair holes for oil-sealing bolts like drain plugs.

The two major advantages are that the Time-Sert is better adapted to use in a threaded hole where the bolt will be repeatedly removed and replaced. If a Heli-Coil is not installed correctly, or if some care is not used in removing or restarting the bolt, the coil can be damaged.

Time-Serts also deal effectively with the need for the top of the hole to be square with the bore so that the drain plug washer will seal correctly.

OTOH, Heli-Coils are slightly harder, and won't back out with the bolt under almost any condition.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.