Can't remove countershaft sprocket nut???

14 replies to this topic
  • redlineblues

Posted November 07, 2008 - 12:22 PM

Can anyone offer some ideas on how to remove the countershaft sprocket on my 2002 yz426f I have tried a good impact with no succes.

• Kasjok

Posted November 07, 2008 - 12:25 PM

Ask someone to press down on the rear brake and just use a brute force. A tall leverage helps, too.

• redlineblues

Posted November 07, 2008 - 12:27 PM

This is a right hand thread ?? correct.

• Kasjok

Posted November 07, 2008 - 12:40 PM

Turn it CCW, just like a regular nut.

• hillclimbguy

Posted November 07, 2008 - 12:54 PM

Just remember "righty tighty and lefty loosy" Always works for me.

• crayztwentyseven

Posted November 07, 2008 - 01:07 PM

Just remember "righty tighty and lefty loosy" Always works for me.

That wont work if the nut is a left handed thread.

• redlineblues

Posted November 07, 2008 - 01:11 PM

Thanks I just got a friend(cost me $20) to come over and sit on the bike with the brake on and try it again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • blueshopsuper

Posted November 07, 2008 - 01:15 PM

Thanks I just got a friend(cost me $20) to come over and sit on the bike with the brake on and try it again.

Next time place your right foot on the brake and lean over the bike with a breaker bar. When you loosen the nut you will be pulling the bike against yourself so it gives you more leverage. BSS

• dirtsquirt101

Posted November 07, 2008 - 01:17 PM

20 bucks? Hell you could have gone to harbor freight and bought a 1/2" air impact. Granted it would have probably only worked for a week.:worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted November 07, 2008 - 01:38 PM

First, they aren't left hand threaded.

Second, the next time this come up, do it the easy way:

With the chain still in place, lay a sturdy board or a hammer handle across the swing arm, through the spokes, as close to the rim as possible. Then crank the nut off. No problem.

Alternatively, you can run the handle of a breaker bar through a hole in the rear sprocket, again, as close to the outer edge as you can get.

• RJB

Posted November 07, 2008 - 08:47 PM

First, they aren't left hand threaded.

Second, the next time this come up, do it the easy way:

With the chain still in place, lay a sturdy board or a hammer handle across the swing arm, through the spokes, as close to the rim as possible. Then crank the nut off. No problem.

Alternatively, you can run the handle of a breaker bar through a hole in the rear sprocket, again, as close to the outer edge as you can get.

I'm with Gray on this one. Had a buddy who could not budge his until the wheel was locked in place using said method - he'd tried everything. Came off easy as this way

• redlineblues

Posted November 08, 2008 - 10:03 AM

thanks guys I will be trying this method today and will let you know how we make out.

• 328somewhere

Posted November 12, 2008 - 06:05 PM

I always put it in the top gear. stand on the brake, lean over with a breaker bar or impact. hasnt failed yet.

• Matt_W

Posted November 13, 2008 - 06:52 AM

Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a good clutch/flywheel holder tool. Not only will you eventually need this to remove the clutch or flywheel, it also works well to hold the coutershaft sprocket while spinning the nut off. You can never have too many specialty tools, and I found this tool comes in handy on a variety of applications :thumbsup:

http://www.motionpro...h_holding_tool/

• matt4x4

Posted November 13, 2008 - 12:39 PM

nice "FRIEND" to charge you 20 - I know times are tough but.... get anything else for that?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.