Clutch Basket Groooved to He!!, Need Advice

7 replies to this topic

Posted November 06, 2008 - 08:23 PM

So I got quite a bit of sand my motor at the dunes last month. Split the cases, cleaned everything, replaced bearings. Bike runs perfect now, but the sand did a number on the fingers on my clutch basket. Now the clutch won't fully disengage.

What years of clutch baskets are interchangable with an 06 YZ450? I will be selling this bike in the near future, so I don't want to dump any more money on this than I have to. Does anyone have a good used one that they would sell me? Also if I go with a Hinson, do I have to reuse the gears from the stock unit? How do the gears come off of the stock unit and go onto the aftermarket basket?

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2008 - 09:16 PM

As far as OEM, '05-'07 are the same. '04 and earlier has a different gear, but they use the same aftermarket basket, in case you run across one.

Aftermarket baskets require that you drill off the rivets and press out the auxiliary drive gear from the original, but it's not so hard to do.

• crayztwentyseven

Posted November 06, 2008 - 10:28 PM

I did this also, I bought a hinson clutch basket fom a guy that said it was for an 03 yzf, I just put the gear from my 07 on it an everthing fits right up. Make sure to put red loctite on the new gear bolts, it would be a bad day if one backed off while riding.

Posted November 07, 2008 - 07:52 PM

As far as OEM, '05-'07 are the same. '04 and earlier has a different gear, but they use the same aftermarket basket, in case you run across one.

Does this include the 426's and 400's as well, or am I limited to the 450's??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 07, 2008 - 09:28 PM

In double checking, it seems that only the '04-'08 use the same aftermarket basket. The '04 complete OEM basket/gear does have a different driven gear, also, as does the '08. The '08 is the same number of teeth, but the '08 primary gears were altered to reduce backlash and rattle.

• gtxkid

Posted November 08, 2008 - 07:14 AM

Do not waist money
Put a Rekluse in if you can aford it

• Family Man

Posted January 28, 2009 - 05:28 PM

Does the hinson come with the gear pressed in on some models or do you press it in on all of them for the yz450f? If they do come with a gear can the hinson gear be pressed out?

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted January 28, 2009 - 05:39 PM

As far as I've heard, only one aftermarket basket comes with the gear, and the name escapes me now (of course :banana:)

I have read that if you buy a Barnett basket and send your old one to them, they will exchange the gear to the new basket for a small dollar amount. I don't know if this is accurate, nor do I know what the cost over and above the basket would be.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.