coolant containing silicate

No replies to this topic
  • rooster wrooster

Posted November 06, 2008 - 07:25 AM

I was going to change the coolant from 70/30 prestone lowtox/distilled water to 100% lowtox for better freeze protection for the winter. After some reading I find out that it contains silicates. After more reading it looks like silicates are not good for impellers and seals. Here is the post from 2004 talking about silicates in lowtox:

Does the prestone low tox have the silicates or is that not a part of the PG mix?
I went on-line and asked the fine folks at Prestone if thier Low Tox product contained silicates. It took a few days, but they finally sent me an e-mail back:

Hello Mr. Attack:
Thank you for your inquiry. To answer your question, Yes. Prestone Low Tox Antifreeze Coolant does contain silicates. If you need additional information please let us know.

Re: Another coolant question

Thanks for the follow up. I was going to go buy some of the Low Tox just to save a few bucks over the bike specific stuff especially if the extra cost was due to marketing hype. Now I'm not so sure

Re: Another coolant question
After I recieved the first reply, I asked them another question:

Does Prestone make a propylene glycol based coolant that does not contain silicates?

Next day, I recieved an e-mail from them saying:

Hello Mr. Attack:
Thank you for your inquiry and your interest in our products. To answer your question our Prestone Low Tox
contains silicates. Unfortunately we do not have a propylene glycol based coolant that does not contain silicates.

This is the link to that post: http://www.thumperta...ghlight=coolant

It looks like amsoil sells a low silicate propylene glycol coolant. The question is how much silicate is safe to use in the coolant. If the answer is none then does anyone know of any propylene glycol coolant that is silicate free besides engine ice?

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.