Best 2 stroke 250?

42 replies to this topic
  • yz250fbeastrider

Posted November 04, 2008 - 04:30 PM

Hey guys i was wondering what the best 2 stroke 250 was..... Any suggestions?

• 2smokeforlife

Posted November 04, 2008 - 04:34 PM

yamaha 02-09 125or 250 best power most reliable hands down best suspension past 06-09

• neversettle4LCQ

Posted November 04, 2008 - 05:32 PM

RM250. Hands down the best. except now the Yamaha is the best because it is the only quality 2t still being manufactured

• hondacrf250rrr

Posted November 04, 2008 - 05:35 PM

02-07 honda

• YamaLink

Posted November 04, 2008 - 05:49 PM

Dirt Rider seems to think it's the 08 and 09 KTM 250XC. I've spent many o' mile on the 08 and it was indeed a great bike.

The YZ250 has had a loyal following since 99, and the RM is coveted for its turning. Heck, even the KX250 in 06/07 (unchanged) was popular.

My money goes on the KTM for off road and the YZ for a mix of everything because it's so versatile and because Yamaha still makes it. It's the new cheater bike in local 250F classes!

• courtney

Posted November 04, 2008 - 05:49 PM

ktm sx250 - case closed

• yz250fbeastrider

Posted November 04, 2008 - 06:01 PM

yz250 was what i thought in the beggining. I might get a 06 outa the box for under 3 grand =] But keep your opinions coming

• Stormatzio

Posted November 04, 2008 - 06:22 PM

I have an 01 RM250 and love it. It's a toss up on a new bike. If I was to get a new bike I would go with the YZ pretty much because I think it's going to have the biggest market share soon at the best price (i.e. more aftermarket parts, lower price parts and repair, etc). No scientific data here, just my opinion. I like the KTM and it seems like everyone at the track is showing up riding orange so I would seriously look at that one also. Really any 2 stroke will be a great bike. The way I see it most of us change just about everything on a bike the day it rolls into our garage (suspension, pipe, bars, controls, reeds, etc.) so go with the one you get the best deal on.

• highmarker

Posted November 04, 2008 - 06:22 PM

There is no "best", IMO. Only choices that may fit your riding style, physical stature, terrain, proximity to spares parts etc.

• mxstate

Posted November 04, 2008 - 06:27 PM

ktm sx250 - case closed

Another case closed here
Posted Image

Just kidding, the best bike is the one you can't wait to ride each WE.:worthy:
I had a YZ, CR and all were as good as my SX.
I have a great Katoom dealership, where people sell and ride dirt bikes

• sixfourone

Posted November 04, 2008 - 06:29 PM

Can't go wrong with any of them. The weak one of the bunch though would have to be the Honda, but is still a very good bike.

• kawaskai man

Posted November 04, 2008 - 06:36 PM

non of those bikes can compare to the kx 250 this has been a great bike I can go 60 + miles on a stock tank of gas and have great power.

the rm's have transmission problems

the cr have a slight bit more power but only 35 miles and your out of gas

yz I dont know that much about

kx great bike but rebuild it every year or they will destroy it self pistons skirt break off because of slop

• courtney

Posted November 04, 2008 - 06:55 PM

Another case closed here
Posted Image

Just kidding, the best bike is the one you can't wait to ride each WE.:eek:
I had a YZ, CR and all were as good as my SX.
I have a great Katoom dealership, where people sell and ride dirt bikes

very nice bike you have there. :worthy:

the cr's are good as people are saying, but they never really improved on it when they should have done. I remember reading in mxa (i think) a while ago, and they said it was something to do with the ignition, and if this was improved it would have been a much better bike

• GodHunter

Posted November 04, 2008 - 07:05 PM

look everybody a dead horse! lets see how bad we can beat it, again!

• zig06

Posted November 04, 2008 - 07:22 PM

look everybody a dead horse! lets see how bad we can beat it, again!

Excellent point.

But really, if your buying used, then the newest nicest one that you can find is it.

From there Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki stopped importing 2 strokes into the US. So if you want a new one, you'll have to look some place else.

Finally, you never mentioned what type of riding your going to do. It's my opinion that MX tracks have been slowly redesigned to favor 4 strokes, so if your going to race MX then your going to be better off on a thumper. Off road and just playing around is another story. And with KTM's coming with electric starting, it's hard to look past that.

Exactly what type of riding are you going to do?

• zpetrichko

Posted November 04, 2008 - 07:29 PM

i always heard the rms were the best way to go

• thebleakness

Posted November 04, 2008 - 07:36 PM

Pick a color and go ride. I chose green and couldn't be happier. :worthy:

• jxd0166

Posted November 04, 2008 - 07:50 PM

Love my 04 RM 250 excellent bike for the trails and can still roost at local tracks if I choose!! but...I"m sure if I had a Yamaha I would tell you to go blue too or KTM to go orange... I agree you should just find the best deal and ride!!

• yz250fbeastrider

Posted November 04, 2008 - 07:56 PM

im riding the track... only reason why m getting a 2 smoke is money wise. Im going to start racing and cant afford to replace a 4 stroke top end often. Then alone know how to. I got a really good freind that helps me a ton. If i buy a 2 stroke i can have him do anythng to it for me, actually he is even buying it, then i gottta pay him in payments. He raced for 30 years. And his daughter races. He gave me 600$+ in gear and freebees in the last month. I donno how to thank him.

• marc177u

Posted November 04, 2008 - 08:02 PM

Love my 04 RM 250 excellent bike for the trails and can still roost at local tracks if I choose!! but...I"m sure if I had a Yamaha I would tell you to go blue too or KTM to go orange... I agree you should just find the best deal and ride!!

Ditto that!!! I love my '05 RM (best bike ever made :worthy: ), my buddy loved his '06 KX, another buddy loved his '04 YZ.

Related Content

Reviews

KTM 450 EXC 2006 by FoxRocks

KTM 450 EXC 2006
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

New 500, blown motor. by Jeffijers

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  119 replies
Forums
Photo

No spark woes, completely stumped by Mirrory

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

what should i buy? 230f or 250x? by offroad circus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250X
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

How to get more power/speed out of a pw50 by JAMRACING21

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Mini/Pee-Wee
  • Hot  55 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.