Powder coated frame 05 YZF

9 replies to this topic
  • Jake92

Posted November 04, 2008 - 08:06 AM

So how do they look after a year. Dull? Do the frame sides wear down?

• wloftin

Posted November 04, 2008 - 09:11 PM

I had my 426 frame powder coated, it looked great. 1 cross country race and the coating is rubbing off already. Not worth the work nor money to me.
Bill

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted November 04, 2008 - 11:12 PM

Put some clear wrapping on it ... keeps the color on the frame ... Its like a sticker but clear ....

• mike_dean

Posted November 05, 2008 - 01:31 AM

I guess it depends on who does it, my 426 was done 7 yrs ago and is a little dull where my boots hit it but has not rubbed thru, the stock paint rubbed thru in 2 months. I'd say it holds up about 10 times better than any paint. Mike

• KJ790

Posted November 05, 2008 - 06:47 AM

I guess it depends on who does it, my 426 was done 7 yrs ago and is a little dull where my boots hit it but has not rubbed thru, the stock paint rubbed thru in 2 months. I'd say it holds up about 10 times better than any paint. Mike

Wait, it took you 2 months to wear through the stock paint? When I ran steel framed YZ's I would rub through the stock paint in 3-4 laps on a track.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buzzfin

Posted November 05, 2008 - 02:15 PM

I had my kid's YZ80 powder coated back in the spring and it's holding up well. Just had my 400 done last week and in the process of putting it back together. I plan on using the clear plastic stick-on covers too.

• DMC707

Posted November 06, 2008 - 08:25 AM

i coated the frame on my Kx 500 -- its rubbing thin after about 10 rides --- I'm a little like KJ970 though, i go through paint in one ride on a steel frame --

riding style affects this somewhat i'm sure --- but i guess the powder is lasting 10x better than paint, but it is still not indestructible

• crayztwentyseven

Posted November 06, 2008 - 10:21 PM

I coated my 04 yz450 frame, it rubbed dull on the siderails in a ride or two. the rest looks good, but it is harder to clean, i think the surface is more porus and gets dirt trapped, therefore making it dirtier faster. I have rebuilt a lot of bikes and this was my first time doing powder coat. The results are OK but I will never do it again on a frame, especially one that has to have oil going through it, too much prep time and cost if you ask me. Also I noticed after doing powder coat the frame gained some weight:bonk: . Remember that powder coat is thicker than paint.

• locorider

Posted November 07, 2008 - 09:00 AM

What does a powder coat job on the frame run for ?

What are folks paying out there ?

• locorider

Posted November 07, 2008 - 09:02 AM

Also, I was thinking of getting a quart of blue truck bed paint for the siderails.

Anyone tried this ?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.