Broke a spoke nipple yesterday...

1 reply to this topic
  • oldmanx

Posted November 03, 2008 - 07:45 AM

During a woods ride yesterday, I took a limb through the back wheel of my 04 WR450 and bent a spoke and broke its nipple...broken flush with the wheel, leaving the head of the nipple still in the wheel. From Yamaha, spokes are only available as kits. From Honda, you can buy individual skokes and nipples. I have several new spokes/nipples for my XR600r. Does anybody have experience with using Honda spokes/nipples on a Yamaha rim? If so, what year/model Honda would I buy for?

I will be tearing the wheel down sometime this week to at least pull out the broken nipple. I'm thinking that if I can't find individual Yamaha spokes and nipples, I might attempt to straighten the bent spoke and use a Honda nipple on it...providing the spoke dia. and thread pitch are the same.

Anybody have any experience with this type of situation?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trailhead2004

Posted November 04, 2008 - 01:37 PM

That's a bummer you have to buy a set. As far as the Honda spokes, I really can't give you an answer but I did a Google search on Yamaha Spokes and a place called Onoffroad.com came up. Their website has links for all the major manufacturers spokes by Excel but they sell by the set too. You might want to ask them your question about the Honda nipples.

My suspicion is that the real difference will be the gauge size of the spokes but there is a small chance the thread could be different too.

Talk with them and see what they say. :worthy:

trailhead2004

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.