WR426 No Start

8 replies to this topic
  • Guyver

Posted November 01, 2008 - 09:20 PM

I spent all morning prepping up my gear/cleaning up the garage so I could go out for a ride this afternoon. I gas up the bike, check the oil, airfilter and started it up. No problems.

I get out to the trails. It won't start. I had turned off the gas after I warmed it up this morning. It was off when I pulled it out of the trailor. I kick and kick - no luck. I decide to bump it. Go down a hill second gear no luck. I tried third gear still no luck. The engine was turning over but no real firing. After a few tries I notice some gas leaking from the overflow lines. I tried all the different combinations of hot start and choke and still no luck. I'm a rookie at working on bikes but I have a friend who's real good.

Any suggestions?

PS. It really sucked to get out there and not be able to ride! Not to mention the sweat I worked up pushing that sucker uphill five times.

• alfie

Posted November 02, 2008 - 01:34 AM

yam wr's are prone to fluffing the spark plugs so try changing that first. ive also found out that your better of sticking to the stock plug rather using the iridium spark plugs. hope that helps

• byggd

Posted November 02, 2008 - 03:32 AM

I agree with alfie, sounds like the plug fouled but I disagree with the iridium plug statement. IMO they are the best you can run and in most reports make the bike easier to start. You can try holding the throttle all the way open, hot start on, hold kill switch and decompress lever and kick it a dozen times or so then try to start as usual.

• Guyver

Posted November 02, 2008 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for your responses. I'll switch the plug out. Should I take the carb apart for cleaning? It was done a few months ago by the shop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted November 02, 2008 - 07:09 AM

I agree with alfie, sounds like the plug fouled but I disagree with the iridium plug statement. IMO they are the best you can run and in most reports make the bike easier to start. You can try holding the throttle all the way open, hot start on, hold kill switch and decompress lever and kick it a dozen times or so then try to start as usual.

do hold the kill button & decompression lever while kicking it several times, that will help to clear the cylinder of gas.

but please don't hold the throttle open!! the kickstarter could kick back and hurt you really bad. in fact, keep your hand off the throttle while kicking.

also, don't twist the throttle more than one time.

a few weeks ago I worked on a friends yz400 that wouldn't stay running for more than a couple seconds. It ended up being a dirty carb. had to take it appart, bowl, AP cover, needle cover and jets. gave it a good cleaning and blew it with an air compressor. Adjusted idle and fuel screw to stock settings and the thing fired right up. it's been working fine ever since.

• erickdj

Posted November 02, 2008 - 07:10 AM

Should I take the carb apart for cleaning? It was done a few months ago by the shop.

yes, clean it up. Specially if it's been sitting for a few weeks.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted November 02, 2008 - 06:36 PM

Also check that you didn't accidently knock the wire off of the coil. There is a little wire connected to the underside of the coil that I have knocked off before. Not the plug wire, just the little one. You may have hit it with your finger while reaching for the kickstarter. It happened to me before.

• byggd

Posted November 03, 2008 - 04:58 AM

but please don't hold the throttle open!! the kickstarter could kick back and hurt you really bad. in fact, keep your hand off the throttle while kicking.

Maybe im confused but how can it kick back if the kill switch is being pressed? As far as I know, no spark = no kickback :worthy: Plus holding the throttle open will allow much more air to enter the chamber to help clear it out.

• Guyver

Posted November 08, 2008 - 06:56 PM

It was the coil. I had to order the part so bike's still not running. Bummer, cause I'm off Tuesday. I'll have to take out my trusty xr400.

One good thing. The carb really did need some cleaning. I guess the air filter was kinked on the bottom, and letting some dust in. That air box is so tight in there, I guess it's one of those just be aware.....All in all the bike ended up getting a nice go-over. I can't wait to get back on it.

Regards.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.