Squeaky Brakes

4 replies to this topic
  • cameronarrow

Posted November 01, 2008 - 04:02 PM

Every few rides, my front brakes will squeak while riding slow. My 250 did it and now my 450 is doing it. I think even the back brakes are starting to do it.

The pads and rotors look good, work good and seem free

What is going on ?

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2008 - 05:03 PM

Disc brakes squeak because the pads vibrate against the rotor, and that vibration is transmitted through the pad to the caliper piston. If you have removed the steel shim plates from behind the pads, that may be why it squeaks, since the shims help damp the vibes and stop the noise. Try roughing up the surface of the pads with a piece of coarse sandpaper on a flat plate.

Also, there might be a problem with whatever you wash the bike with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cameronarrow

Posted November 01, 2008 - 05:53 PM

I have not removed the shims, but the bikes are used, they might be missing. I will check for them and try sanding the pads. I thought the brakes might be dragging, but they don't seem hot or tight. I was thinking maybe I need to lube the pins that the calipers move on. Having the problem on 2 bikes, I figured it was a common WR problem, but I did not find anything with a search. None of my other bikes have done this. Maybe I will try anti-squeal paste for automotive brake pads. As for washing, I only use the garden hose.

Thanks

• desert-rat660

Posted November 01, 2008 - 09:16 PM

are the rotors heavily glazed? also why are u riding slow :worthy:

• 1rkcooper

Posted November 02, 2008 - 02:52 PM

Maybe it's not the brakes. If you apply the brakes does the noise go away or change? Does the noise get worse as your bike has been moving for a while? My daughter rides a CRF250x and the front wheel bearings did this, I thought it was the brakes too. I rode the bike and as the wheel bearings would warm up they would start to squeal.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.