Harder compound rear tyre......

10 replies to this topic
  • S1rst

Posted November 01, 2008 - 01:18 PM

Ok, it seems my original dunlop rear tyre on my 08 WR450 only wants to last a couple of hundred miles, so i want to go for a harder compound rear or it'll cost me a fortune in rubber!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to go for please? It really needs to be fully road legal for peace of mind.

Thanks, Rich. :worthy:

• Demo_Slug

Posted November 01, 2008 - 04:05 PM

Ok, it seems my original dunlop rear tyre on my 08 WR450 only wants to last a couple of hundred miles, so i want to go for a harder compound rear or it'll cost me a fortune in rubber!

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to go for please? It really needs to be fully road legal for peace of mind.

Thanks, Rich. :worthy:

Maxxis IT will last a lot longer then the dunlop.

• maxtherat

Posted November 01, 2008 - 04:24 PM

Kenda Parker D/T

• LILBIT

Posted November 01, 2008 - 05:08 PM

Maxxis IT will last a lot longer then the dunlop.

Maxxis has great wear but doesn't lean well on pavement due to it's square shape. No DOT. Try a 606. They are popular for a reason.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 01, 2008 - 05:53 PM

I think that the bridgstone 404 is the most durable tire I've ridden on. I've got it on my bike now and I think I will get sick of looking at it before it wears out.

But since its so hard, run it at a little lower pressure for more traction. I run mine at 12-13lbs (but I'm not really that fast)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • farkawi

Posted November 02, 2008 - 02:25 AM

I've got a set of Pirelli DOT tires that will likely go about 2k miles of mostly street.

• zorroz

Posted November 02, 2008 - 03:01 AM

Mitas Stone King is a great hard compound long lasting tyre. I get 1500km out of them on hard rocky terrain :worthy:

Posted Image

• Lennie

Posted November 02, 2008 - 01:50 PM

Mitas is crap, hard rubber but no grip and puncture VERY easily. Go for a maxxis, last nearly as long but much better quality.

• S1rst

Posted November 03, 2008 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Plenty to look into there. Cheers. :worthy:

• buggs bunny

Posted November 03, 2008 - 03:21 PM

metzeler uni cross is what i ordered for the same bike,looks good to me plus the front and rear are ten mm wider than stock so a little more contact,choose your poison wisely.

• S1rst

Posted November 04, 2008 - 01:46 AM

Ill have a look at those too mate, thanks. So will a 140/80/18 be ok as the original dunlop is 130/90/18?

Cheers. :worthy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.