Mounting a tail light on an Acerbis white rear fender for a 2008 WR450F

16 replies to this topic
  • BajaFool

Posted November 01, 2008 - 08:37 AM

I ordered a white Acerbis rear fender for my 2008 WR450F nearly 6 weeks ago, and I am still waiting for it to arrive. Today, I received the blue Acerbis rear fender for my 2006 WR450F, which I ordered 6 weeks ago also. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and found that my, as described by Acerbis, " replica Yamaha WR450F rear fender, color is YZ Blue" has no provisions to mount the tail light or clamp the tail light wires to the fender. By the way, the word replica means "an exact copy".

Now I am really concerned that when I receive my 2008 WR450F white rear fender it also will not be moulded to accept the WR LED tail light. Has anyone ordered and received a white or blue Acerbis rear fender for a 2007-2009 WR450F? If so, is the Acerbis rear fender moulded so that you were able to route the electrical harness and mount the LED tail light onto the fender? If not and you wanted to mount the tail light, what did you do to correct this problem?

• tweav

Posted November 02, 2008 - 12:31 AM

Yes , I have a white rear fender for my 07 wr450 from acerbis and it does have all the bosses and mounts for the stock tail light. here's mine I've never mounted it to the bike but it looks right . I'm running my black ufo plastic right now.

never mind the yz rear fender in the bottom of the first pic
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• BajaFool

Posted November 02, 2008 - 11:44 AM

Tweav,
Thank you for the reply. I was really concerned that I would not be able to mount the tail light on the new 2008 Acerbis WR fender. I ride on the roads in Mexico on occasion and a tail light is a GOOD thing. I want to believe that the blue Acerbis fender for the 2006 WR450F I received is in fact a YZ fender in a WR package. The plan is to clear up the situation with the Acerbis folks, who are located up in beautiful Idaho, on Monday.

Is that license plate bracket on the white fender something that you fabricated or is it an after market part designed to be added on to the light assembly?

• tweav

Posted November 02, 2008 - 07:10 PM

that is a plate holder a guy on e-bay sells them for like 45 bucks. I like the ufo fender deal much better . From ufo you get a rear fender ,a plate holder ,and a tail light all for 60 bucks . that's a great deal ..

Posted Image

Posted Image

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 03, 2008 - 09:24 AM

that is a plate holder a guy on e-bay sells them for like 45 bucks. I like the ufo fender deal much better . From ufo you get a rear fender ,a plate holder ,and a tail light all for 60 bucks . that's a great deal ..

Posted Image

Posted Image

UFO available in white?

• TundraInsider

Posted November 03, 2008 - 10:50 AM

tweave has gotten so much use out of those side by side fender pics. anytime anyone asks a plastic question that picture pops up as the answer. They should make that pic a sticky up top.

• tweav

Posted November 03, 2008 - 05:38 PM

UFO available in white?

yes ufo makes white , blue and black.

• ophir

Posted November 29, 2008 - 01:25 AM

Who is making the aftermarket side pannels for 07-09?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tweav

Posted November 29, 2008 - 11:06 PM

I've got ufo ones on my bike I think ufo is the only one that makes black ones they also make white and blue. acerbis makes blue and white .

• Thermos O flask

Posted November 30, 2008 - 04:19 AM

Here's a few pics of my wr400 with white yz guard and crf450 tail light.
I just put a piece of alloy over it to stop rocks smashing it
.Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• jokerflingo

Posted November 30, 2008 - 06:18 AM

Here's a few pics of my wr400 with white yz guard and crf450 tail light.
I just put a piece of alloy over it to stop rocks smashing it
.Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hey where abouts are you based in Australia m8 is that NSW on your number plate? Nice bike but just curious do you get harassed at all on your bike about your number plate? Because from behind that would have to be unreadable? Have you been pulled over about it at all and if so what happened? I know its handy because its out of the way but over here in Australia arnt the cops heaps strict about it? Would love to know your thoughts about it as mine is very similar but horizontal bent across the fender. Yer its still quite hard to see.

Any info much appreciated
Thanks
Matt

• Thermos O flask

Posted December 01, 2008 - 03:04 AM

Mate I'm in Sydney,but i really only ride in the bush and as long as your registered there's no drama. I had a b&b alloy frame under the old guard that had the plate in a road rego friendly position but i wanted the Clean look so i took it off when i replasticed the bike.
Posted Image

• jokerflingo

Posted December 01, 2008 - 04:46 AM

Mate I'm in Sydney,but i really only ride in the bush and as long as your registered there's no drama. I had a b&b alloy frame under the old guard that had the plate in a road rego friendly position but i wanted the Clean look so i took it off when i replasticed the bike.
Posted Image

Fair enough. Maybe Adelaide are just a little stricter because when i have been riding all my buddies say im lucky to not have gotten caught with my number plate being horizontal and bent across the rear fender. If i had mine like yours i feel sure i would get pulled over because what if i went through a red light camera? They wouldn't be able to see it would they? Eg. you cant put your car number plate on top of the roof/bonnet or boot can you?

Just curious lol
Thanks
Matt

• Thermos O flask

Posted December 02, 2008 - 01:32 AM

No traffic lights or cameras in the bush!

• jokerflingo

Posted December 02, 2008 - 02:16 AM

No traffic lights or cameras in the bush!

Maybe but i feel sure you would have to ride on the road to get to the bush?

• Thermos O flask

Posted December 03, 2008 - 03:15 AM

I WISH!! Sydney has a bit of a sprawl so its min 1 hour or more like 2 hours drive to get anywhere good.So its load 'em on the trailer.
Posted Image

• T Sure

Posted December 06, 2008 - 12:31 PM

Those UFO rear fenders are so flimsy they shake around a lot on the trail. The stock piece is a lot thicker plastic. My buddy folowed me on the trail and watched the rear fender,plate, and tailight dance around a lot. He said it would be a matter of time until the fender breaks; especially in the Nevada Desert.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.