Boyesen Supercooler Kit

21 replies to this topic
  • rexbond007

Posted November 01, 2008 - 07:34 AM

Has any one installed the Boyesen impeller and kit?

is it worth doing for the money?

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2008 - 07:45 AM

Do you have a heat problem?

• rexbond007

Posted November 01, 2008 - 07:59 AM

yes, when i cut in trail, hill climb tricky trails that require a lot of clutching, i lose coolant

• bfogelma

Posted November 01, 2008 - 08:03 AM

i would try doing a radiator flush and put in engine ice before you spend a couple hundred dollars on a new water pump/impellar.

just look at it this way, if it works, you've spent 20 bucks instead of 150-200. if it doesnt work, then you have better coolant anyways and it was only 20 bucks...

• clutchless

Posted November 01, 2008 - 08:07 AM

Has any one installed the Boyesen impeller and kit?

is it worth doing for the money?

I got one at wholesale 3 weeks ago.

then 2 days later my girls radiator blew on her mazda.

her entire radiator was 179.00 the same cost as the the cover and impeller kit.

i realized the kit was a waste of money after that.

But... i did notice that i was using my hotstart lever less on my last desert trip.

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2008 - 08:24 AM

yes, when i cut in trail, hill climb tricky trails that require a lot of clutching, i lose coolant

That really has more to do with air than coolant circulation, although the kit may help a little. If you continue to have a lot of trouble with it, consider Evans coolant and a stronger cap, or a small, battery powered fan setup.

i would try doing a radiator flush and put in engine ice before you spend a couple hundred dollars on a new water pump/impellar. .

Engine Ice is a good product, but it costs a lot more than it should. Read this discussion from here:

http://www.thumperta...094#post7135094

• bfogelma

Posted November 01, 2008 - 08:51 AM

i know it costs more than it should, but i can justify spending that 20 bucks a lot easier than spending it on something else...

plus it helps to have previously gotten everything at cost for working at a shop i guess...

• rexbond007

Posted November 01, 2008 - 10:44 AM

i have always lost a little coolant since brand new. i have the heavier 1.6 rad cap. i change the fluid every year, even though i keep adding to it. i have been running redline cool down and maxima cool aid for the two years i have own the bike. i ride rocky steep mountain goat trails,(it's always the hard clutching rides.) and i always lose a little bit every ride. except if i'm out for the fast trail or track ride. if i forget to top up the rad then i get caught out with it down 250 mls or so.
From what i read it could not hurt to have faster flowing coolant, to cut back on the spillage. i guess my question have been who has been successful in addressing this situation with the impeller and cover.

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2008 - 11:07 AM

If you top off the radiator, you will normally loose coolant down to the level of the coolant tubes, or just over that, due to expansion, but it should hold at that point.

• Justin89

Posted November 01, 2008 - 11:30 AM

I see this kit on a lot of the Pro Bikes but they are pinning the bleep out of their bikes at all time. I was worried about loosing coolant too. I made a cheap coolant catch can to see how much coolant I was losing every ride. I would empty it after every ride and it would be almost exactly the same amount. It wasn't a coolant catch can/return system, just a bottle. It really set my nerves at ease. Also, I would also top off my coolant every time as well. Heres a pic. I cost $5 to make. Try something like this and see if you are loosing the same amount each time. Here's a pic below. People at the races have actually asked me if I was running NOS and that it would not be fair for the start/holeshot:banghead: :worthy:

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz480doinwork

Posted November 02, 2008 - 07:24 PM

that is kinda cool. i got a NOS powershot bottle laying in my room! looks cool. i cant believe people thought u were running nos. that is great. makes you wonder if they should really be at a race track.

• Justin89

Posted November 02, 2008 - 08:44 PM

that is kinda cool. i got a NOS powershot bottle laying in my room! looks cool. i cant believe people thought u were running nos. that is great. makes you wonder if they should really be at a race track.

Ye!p thats what I thought :worthy:

• tribalbc

Posted November 03, 2008 - 08:23 AM

i have always lost a little coolant since brand new. i have the heavier 1.6 rad cap. i change the fluid every year, even though i keep adding to it. i have been running redline cool down and maxima cool aid for the two years i have own the bike. i ride rocky steep mountain goat trails,(it's always the hard clutching rides.) and i always lose a little bit every ride. except if i'm out for the fast trail or track ride. if i forget to top up the rad then i get caught out with it down 250 mls or so.
From what i read it could not hurt to have faster flowing coolant, to cut back on the spillage. i guess my question have been who has been successful in addressing this situation with the impeller and cover.

Well we like the same type of riding :worthy:
I also ran the 1.6 and maxima cool aide and would still have issues with bubbling on my 07 wr450 ( I have the catch tank )
Since I've installed the supercooler kit there's been a good difference.
I haven't heard the bubbling at all when having to kill it on the really ugly nasty slow stuff :eek:
So yes it seems to make a dif on the slow stuff.
Just looking at the impeller compared to my stock one, they were twice the depth, kind of a no brainer she'll flow more coolant.

• loopsrider

Posted November 03, 2008 - 06:21 PM

Hey 007...

You'll get lots of people telling you to run "X" brand of coolant additive. I think between us all we've ran every brand available. Problem is that all it does is raise the boiling point of the coolant and DOES NOT address the amount of heat buildup near the cylinder and in the head. The place where the boiling starts. The trick is to get that coolant moving through the cooling system as fast as possible and pull that heat away...

One thing I have tried with good results is to reinstall the factory rad fins over the rad guards. Vokes's idea actually....and it hepled a huge amount as long as the bike is still moving and you have airflow.

IMO...Get the fluid moving and then address getting more slow speed airflow past the rads to get rid of the xtra heat that the coolant is holding... In other words buy the Boyesen, and keep me updated....I want one too:smirk:

• rexbond007

Posted November 03, 2008 - 07:06 PM

i now am planning to get it out of the thumpertalk shop, hey want to go together and order 1 each?

• nori41

Posted November 04, 2008 - 02:18 PM

I have one fitted and use Engine Ice.

Posted Image

• jo-hn1777

Posted November 04, 2008 - 03:01 PM

^:worthy:

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted November 04, 2008 - 11:16 PM

nori41 do you ride that bike? haha

Posted Image

• CDA

Posted November 05, 2008 - 09:03 AM

If you are riding super tight trails a lot and are on the clutch hard, you might want to look into re-gearing your bike for tighter trail work. That way you are not working the motor so hard...

• rexbond007

Posted November 05, 2008 - 12:31 PM

any higher gearing and i'll be doing 30 miles an hour in fifth

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.