Adding an extra clutch plate, or swap for thicker ones?

12 replies to this topic
  • Diesel_Junkie

Posted October 30, 2008 - 09:51 AM

Has anyone added an extra clutch plate to an 07/08 WR450?
or
Tried swapping a thin clutch plate for a thicker one? There are 4 thick and 3 thin in the stack and the thicker ones are 0.4mm thicker than the thin ones.

I need to tune my clutch.

Clutch still works but releases at the end of throw, and I have run out of adjustment at housing and lever.

I took everything apart and all of it is fine and in spec. The primary, the plates, the cable.... everything.

Problem is not a stretched cable,,, its the opposite... the stack is getting too short(or so it seems).

So I am thinking that building up the stack a little thicker might help.

Thanks,

• tweav

Posted October 30, 2008 - 12:58 PM

I'm guessing that this is a dumb question ,but here goes any how. Did you use up all of the adjustment in the cable . you know there are 2 adjusters the fine thumn wheel and the course the adjustment tube is about 2 inches from the thumb wheel toward the center.

this one .

Posted Image

• Demo_Slug

Posted October 30, 2008 - 01:17 PM

I'm guessing that this is a dumb question ,but here goes any how. Did you use up all of the adjustment in the cable . you know there are 2 adjusters the fine thumn wheel and the course the adjustment tube is about 2 inches from the thumb wheel toward the center.

this one .

I gave his bike a once over last night and that second adjuster is all the way in.

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted October 30, 2008 - 01:42 PM

Yea,
both adjusters are completely collapsed. If I adjust either out a little i will get silppage.

Everything elses was torn down and measures in spec.

• tweav

Posted October 30, 2008 - 03:58 PM

that's weird I sware I've been adjusting both of mine out as it has worn down. are you sure the mount bracket is not loose on the motor or the push rod in motor is not messed up ?

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted October 30, 2008 - 07:21 PM

the pushrod looks new. I just double checked the cable stop and it's perfect too. I think I will compare the stack height to gregs bike, and buy another cable assembly, only $22

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 31, 2008 - 01:53 PM

The only thing that makes any reasonable sense is that plates are thinner than they were. That fits in with their behavior in so far as not catching until almost fully engaged. Nothing else fits the symptom set.

• zorroz

Posted October 31, 2008 - 02:27 PM

My mate cooked his clutch up the dunes once and we had to back all the adjusters off so the clutch would grab otherwise it would have no drive. We took it home and with fine sand paper rubbed the steel plates carefully to take the glazing off and just cleaned the fibre plate in kero and it works it still works perfect a year later.

• Demo_Slug

Posted October 31, 2008 - 03:12 PM

:p get the magura clutch. it might help :lol:

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted October 31, 2008 - 03:26 PM

The only thing that makes any reasonable sense is that plates are thinner than they were. That fits in with their behavior in so far as not catching until almost fully engaged. Nothing else fits the symptom set.

That is exactly what I thought, but all the plates measure like new, the steel and the friction plates.

I will do some more comparing to Greg's bike to isolate the differances.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 31, 2008 - 04:19 PM

Do you have that little ball in the pushrod? Its probably used as a spacer to push the stack out.

• Demo_Slug

Posted October 31, 2008 - 05:46 PM

That is exactly what I thought, but all the plates measure like new, the steel and the friction plates.

I will do some more comparing to Greg's bike to isolate the differances.

leave my bike alone, mine works fine because I ride it right.... :lol:

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted November 01, 2008 - 11:20 AM

The ball is in the stack. All of that looks fine.

I made some comparison measurements to Gregs bike, Looks like it is most likely the cable housing that is messed up.

The cable looks to be 2-3mm too short, a short cable does not make sense... but longer housing might.

I ordered a new one.... no on has it in stock around here.

I will let you guys know if that fixes it....

Thanks,

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.