Help Plugging Tank Petcock?

5 replies to this topic
  • Scotty_Bear

Posted June 25, 2002 - 09:28 PM

Need Help? I recently purchased a Big Gun exhaust system and found out that my Acerbis YZF desert tank fuel petcock hits the header. I would like to remove the petcock but I do not have any ideas on how to patch the hole on the tank. I am really not sure why acerbis sells the tanks without selling a plug for the petcock hole not being used. I would appreciate any ideas on how to do this.

Thanks
Scotty Bear

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 25, 2002 - 11:08 AM

Get a small metal plate and replace the petcock with it, using a gasket of course. I'm not sure where to get such a plate, but that's what the instructions on my Clarke tank said regarding removal of a petcock.

• Scotty_Bear

Posted June 26, 2002 - 09:51 PM

Rich,
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking I would probably have to mount a metal plate (with some sort of gasket) but I was just hoping there was some other way to do it. Maybe some type of plastic weld or something like it that would patch the hole and not get eaten up by the gas.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rich_in_Orlando

Posted June 26, 2002 - 10:37 AM

If you can find a plastic welding material that stands up to gas, PLEASE let us know. I know there are several TT'ers (including myself) who would love to find such a product. There are a lot of cracked gas tanks out there that need repair.

• Scotty_Bear

Posted June 26, 2002 - 11:24 AM

Actually, the acerbis people told me to use JB Weld on the hole. I have never used this stuff so I do not know if it would withstand gasoline. However, I have my reservations which is why I was posting the question.

• tk421

Posted June 26, 2002 - 06:29 PM

Mine comes within a 1/4 inch when switched to on. I just leave it in reserve, It’s swung out of the way of the header then.
http://www.photoalbu...om/gschildroth/

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.