Seat for 2nd rider?

4 replies to this topic
  • bczandm

Posted October 29, 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hi,

I just purchased a WR 400, a 2000, and am going to do some very light trail riding in Utah. I'd like to take my 11 year old boy with me and was wondering if anyone has seen a back rest for the WR. We can go without it, but I think he would feel more comfortable. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob

• phoo

Posted October 30, 2008 - 05:55 AM

It's just me, but I don't think giving someone with short legs a ride on a bike with a monoshock and long suspension travel is a bright idea, especially without footpegs. If the bike kicks to the side and his foot gets between the wheel and the fender then you hit a bump, his leg is going to get seriously chewed up.

When I was a kid, myself and my idiot friends used to go two- (or three-) up on my MX100, but that's a *much* shorter bike with traditional dual shocks so it would be much harder to get a leg caught between the wheel and the fender.

If you want to bring a friend on a dirt ride, why not get something designed for the task like a KLR?

I suppose on the other hand, if you were to figure out a way to hook up some passenger foot pegs I would think this was actually a pretty fun idea. Just make sure you stiffen the rear suspension. :lol:

~Patrick

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Charles De Mar

Posted October 30, 2008 - 06:53 AM

I say look for an old xr for the 11 year old to get on himself. I saw an xr100 (older) for $500.00. He could ride it for a year and sell it for $400:thumbsup: I'm sure you'll share the time better that way. Him riding on the back is more dangerous to him than him being on his own bike with the proper protection. IMHO!

• phoo

Posted October 30, 2008 - 09:51 AM

I agree with the above poster. By the time I was 11, my dad and I had already put on many miles riding trails together. Happy memories, indeed. And I only had to go to the hospital once! :lol:

EDIT: Uh, make that twice. Both outpatient. And both learning experiences for me. heh

~Patrick

• matt4x4

Posted October 31, 2008 - 04:10 AM

Ok, unless you weigh 100 lbs - don't do it - you will bend the subframe - the bikes aren't made for 2.
There's also issues with feet dangling, chains moving at high speed, swingarm and tire possibly catching limbs - it's just not a good idea - too much dangerous stuff exposed right by his legs/feet.

Get him a separate bike - like charles said - there's a ton to be had at great prices - ESPECIALLY right now

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.