YZ450 Handling

4 replies to this topic
  • maverick_26

Posted October 29, 2008 - 01:20 PM

Well, I got my 2003 yz450f about 2 months ago. I absolutely love it, way more torque for some of the hill climbing I do. Anyways, I love everything about it, except it seems to turn like a brick. I've looked everywhere for a different offset tripleclamp for it. I know in 03 they had 46mm forks and 04+ had 48mm forks. I can only find aftermarket tripleclamps for the 04+ yz450's. Should I just buy a set of 04+ 48mm forks? Other than that the bikes awesome. :lol:

• tdamore

Posted October 29, 2008 - 01:42 PM

BRP makes a 22mm offset clamp for the '03.

http://www.brpmoto.c...products_id=866

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2008 - 02:00 PM

The offset clamps aren't really the trick to making the bike turn. Make sure your rear sag is set no more than 100mm, and pull the front forks up in the clamps 5mm at a time, to as much as 10mm total, trying it each time. It will steer better. The bike is not, and won't be a corner carver like a two-stroke RM, but few things really are. It's much happier railing berms than taking the inside. You can learn, however to "square off" corners with it pretty well using the brakes hard, pivoting, and leaving in a fairly straight line, and the bike handles very well under power once you get it established in a corner. Good front tires are important.

The forks can be worked with, and if you want something truly amazing, contact Dave Johnson at Smart Performance. Ask him about the Phase 4 Fork. Really incredible. Tell him I sent you.

• maverick_26

Posted November 03, 2008 - 08:42 PM

How much would something like that cost to have done? The smart valve looks pretty cool :worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2008 - 07:13 AM

The reviews on the Phase 4 fork have been incredible. Dave Johnson at Smart Performance is someone who is what most of us would call an "outside-the-box" thinker. If you told him that, he'd probably look at you and ask, "There's a box?" :worthy:

Pricing info is something you'd need to ask Dave about.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.