Damaged steering head bearing

5 replies to this topic
  • Sylvain

Posted January 14, 2003 - 04:18 PM

The bike is almost brand new (200km), and during the installation of a grease nipple in the steering head, I noticed that the outer race of the top bearing is damaged from rust spots.

It's not much, but since I have the steering head apart, I'd like to replace the damaged part.

I know that I have to replace this top bearing and outer race as a unit. But before I punch out the top race. Does anybody have info on the outer race specifications? (Height/inside diam/outside diam)

I could take it off the bike, ruining it in the process, and if the new part take forever to get here, there will be a lot of frustration while I wait for it.

Thanks

• Ernie_Taylor

Posted January 15, 2003 - 03:01 AM

Did you get the owners manual with the bike, if not let me know and I will look it up when I get home. I am on the road till Friday

• Sylvain

Posted January 15, 2003 - 11:19 AM

Yes I did get the owner's manual when I bought the bike.
I went to my nearby dealer to order the parts. I ordered the outside race for $18.00 cdn, and I'll go to a bearing shop to get the bearing. They're asking $80.00 cdn for a tapered needle bearing. A bit TOOO much I think.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted January 15, 2003 - 02:39 PM

As poorly as these things are lubed from the factory, it doesn't take much moisture to begin the rust process. When you pop the old race out save it to drive the new one back in...makes it so much easier.

Bonzai :)

• Wyatt

Posted January 15, 2003 - 02:42 PM

Next time buy the complete set from pivot works. They are much cheaper than stock and it comes with everything.

• Sylvain

Posted January 16, 2003 - 02:43 AM

Thanks, I'll do just that. :)

Regards

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.