Hotcams Shim Kit For 2009 Yz450f

11 replies to this topic
  • xorron5

Posted October 29, 2008 - 01:34 AM

Hi i am not going to put new cams or anything like that ,but should i order
hotcams shim kit for re shimming if my valves get out of speck ..i know that
they wount need to be shimmed for quite some time but i rather
have the shims in storage...so hotcams shims are propably the set for this usage to buy or what...:lol:

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2008 - 04:55 AM

No. You would pay $90 US retail for the kit, and even if you do ever actually use it, and all 5 valves needed adjustment, you might only need 3 or 4 shims. To make matters worse, the kits come with shims in two different ranges of sizes, larger and smaller. These include shims that you will absolutely never need, and the point at which one kit ends and the other begins is right in the middle of the range used in YZF's.

If you want to be ahead of the curve, pull the lifters one at a time to see what shims are there, and order one size smaller for each valve. Or, just wait until you actually need them and get them then. The same shims fit Honda CRF450's, so the dealers should have pleny of them.

• RJB

Posted October 29, 2008 - 05:21 AM

Not sure what the availability of parts is like in Thailand, but where I am, the only sensible option was to buy the kit. At least when I do change them out, I won't have to wait 2 weeks (if not longer) for them to arrive. If, on the other hand you have easy access to dealers that have the parts in stock, then I wouldn't bother.

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2008 - 05:51 AM

The '06 that I just did rings in has shims in it ranging from 179 to 187 (factory shims are available in .01mm increments). It is, then, conceivable that I would one day need shims as small as 170, or in rare cases, as large as 190. Beyond that, it would need a valve job.

The $90 full kit has 3 shims in each size from 120 to 350, so there are at least 54 shims in the kit that I would never use under any circumstance.

They make refill kits with 5 shims each from 150 to 175, and from 180 to 205. These are $36 each, and even if you bought one of each, it's still $20 cheaper to get more of each size in a range you would more likely use. You could probably get by with just the 150-175 kit. Something to think about if you think you just have to have it.

• xorron5

Posted October 29, 2008 - 08:28 AM

The thing is that here u cant buy that stuff...so i have to order from u.s.
and it takes an good 3-4 weeks before i resive it ..and i drive around
15 h./week so that 100 h. margin get reatched quite fast...
and i havent heard of any other shim kits than HOTCAMS..I do have one allredy for drz400 but i think the size is not the same with yz450f...

• RJB

Posted October 29, 2008 - 08:40 AM

...You could probably get by with just the 150-175 kit. Something to think about if you think you just have to have it.

Good call - probably should have gone that route, but got a good deal on the kit at the time. Guess I could always use the extras to stop a wobbly table or two :lol:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2008 - 08:58 AM

Guess I could always use the extras to stop a wobbly table or two :p

And to within .0019", no less. :lol:

• KJ790

Posted October 29, 2008 - 09:14 AM

The same shims fit the RMZ-450, KX450F, CRF450, and YZ450F, so there will most likely be a dealer near you that has some. When I swap cams and need shims, I just run down to a local shop and buy the ones I need. The guy there normally charges me about a dollar a shim.

• almostinvincible119

Posted October 29, 2008 - 01:41 PM

i love my shim kit. no guessing. no going 50 miles to the dealer. no problems. and if you look hard enough, you can get em for 60 bucks.

• jo-hn1777

Posted October 29, 2008 - 02:01 PM

No. You would pay $90 US retail for the kit, and even if you do ever actually use it, and all 5 valves needed adjustment, you might only need 3 or 4 shims. To make matters worse, the kits come with shims in two different ranges of sizes, larger and smaller. These include shims that you will absolutely never need, and the point at which one kit ends and the other begins is right in the middle of the range used in YZF's.

If you want to be ahead of the curve, pull the lifters one at a time to see what shims are there, and order one size smaller for each valve. Or, just wait until you actually need them and get them then. The same shims fit Honda CRF450's, so the dealers should have pleny of them.

:lol: :p

• xorron5

Posted October 30, 2008 - 02:14 AM

Great info guys ,i might get the highs and lows refil package..i dont care if i have some extras in storage...my house is full of mx stuff anyway..:lol:

• xorron5

Posted October 30, 2008 - 02:38 AM

end of the day i allready have the correct shims ups !,they only come in 2 sizes
7.48 and 9.48 and the 9.48 is same for drz400 and yz450f...:lol:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.