1998 YZ 400f Starting Sequence

11 replies to this topic
  • logger73

Posted October 28, 2008 - 10:13 PM

I am having trouble starting my 1998 yz 400f both cold and hot. Since I am new to this bike, I have checked into and heard that there may be a strict starting sequence. If so, does anyone know what that might be. If this has already been posted I apologize, but did not find it through the search engine. Thanks!Q

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2008 - 05:17 AM

Did you look in the Common Threads Sticky? You know, the one that says, "look here first"?

At the bottom of the page, there are links to two videos by Doug Dubach explaining the whole thing.

• logger73

Posted October 29, 2008 - 06:04 AM

Thanks for your info and patience.

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2008 - 07:28 AM

Something that you also want to be aware of is that even when "the drill" is properly executed, the YZF's, and YZ400's in particular, are exceptionally fussy about being properly tuned. Check the sticky for links regarding adjustment of the idle circuit (see Fuel System), and keep a fresh plug in it.

:lol:

• logger73

Posted October 29, 2008 - 09:33 AM

With regard to the plug, is there a brand that is more effective and more reliable?

• jayh300

Posted October 29, 2008 - 09:43 AM

and.... once you learn it, the are pretty easy, atleast mine was. I read on here somewhere, to learn the starting drill and practice it till you get it right. And that is easier to do on your own time frame, not when all your buddies have already left you at the truck. does yours still have a manual decomp lever??
My 400 still had the manual decomp when i bought it, and the main thing on it along with the starting ritual, was to keep your hand off the throttle. I started mine with my hand on the master cyl to keep away from any twist.
I flooded mine when i first got it home and kicked on it for hours.....
Once i got the drill down, and a new plug in it, 3 to 4 max kicks cold, 1 or 2 once warmed up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted October 29, 2008 - 09:48 AM

With regard to the plug, is there a brand that is more effective and more reliable?

i always ran ngk's in mine... no problems but the first one when I did not know how to start it....

• bansheeater1

Posted October 29, 2008 - 10:26 AM

Its like 3-4 times you barley kick it down..make sure you hand is off the throttle..than have a big kick..it might take a couple of times..but it worked for my friend.

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2008 - 10:51 AM

The original NGK CR8E works fine. The CR8EIX iridium plug should help with starting, at least theoretically, and be slightly less prone to fouling.

• canute

Posted October 29, 2008 - 01:39 PM

I have found this to be correct.... the 400f and 250f both start much easier with the iridium plug

• logger73

Posted October 31, 2008 - 03:32 AM

Just put the Iridium plug in. The bike seemed to spark much better and fire better. Thanks.

• motojoe_23

Posted November 01, 2008 - 04:48 PM

My 400 is easier to start than my 250f was :dunno:

But the biggest thing, is if you are coming from a two smoke, to a thumper you have to change your kick style. The two smokes take a fast aggressive kick. The thumpers take more of a smooth kick, slightly slower kick.

On my 400, if it is cold I pull out the cold choke, twist the throttle ONCE and ONLY ONCE, press the kick starter till I hit resistance, pull the decomp lever and push the kick starter just past TDC (the resistance) and kick smoothly. It usually will start on the first kick.

When warm, it will usually start the same way, but with NO choke (not cold or hot) and NO throttle pump.
When it is exceptionally hot, If it kick it once as above (when warm) and it doesnt start, I pull the hot start out and do the kick procedure NO THROTTLE twist, and it starts then.

So at worst, I make two kicks at any given time. If I have to kick twice, It usually is I rushed it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.