New Member, New (to me!) WR400/YZ426

16 replies to this topic
  • bczandm

Posted October 28, 2008 - 05:55 PM

Hi,

I am a new member here. Just picked up a 2000 WR 400 and a 2001 YZ 426 for $1200 each. Both are in great shape and generally run well, see exception below. Lower mileage units in pretty good shape. While these are new to me, I grew up on three TT500's and a XT 650 more recently. I hope to use both of these in the mountains here in Colorado as trail bikes. I hope the YZ is up to the task.

In any event I've not ridden much recently and at 47 years old I'll look forward to (re)learning the bikes. I've only put a few minutes on either of the bikes, but wow, things have changed!!

The YZ seems to run a bit hot, so I'm getting the oil and coolant changed, new filter and a few other minor items including jetting fixed.The WR runs out just fine, not going to do much to it right now.

If there are any other suggests anyone has for this newbie, please let me know. I also got a few helmets, boots, shirt withe the deal, so I think I am pretty good there. More interested if there is anything else I should address on the bikes.

As a note, I spent the last few days going over the last 50 pages of posts and there were quite a few that were very helpful. I'll look forward to any comments.

Oh, what is the "grey wire" mod? What does it do?

Best Regards,
Bob in Colorado.

• Stroker06

Posted October 28, 2008 - 08:36 PM

The grey wire mod is for the WR's. It is to help uncork them and make them run more like the YZ. I'm not sure if this only works for newer models, but when I had my 06 WR250 the dealer did all the free mods for me before I picked it up. I think this helped me keep up with my buds on MX style bikes better.
You may want to do a search in the WR section under free mods to find out more though.
Oh, and by the way, welcome!

• 426 NOOB

Posted October 28, 2008 - 09:05 PM

when you do your 426's coolant, Use Engine Ice high performance coolant. It is a 50/50 blend pre-mixed in the bottle. Your local shop can get it. My 01 426 had problems with getting hot in the woods, and ever since I put engine ice in it, it runs at least 40-50 deg. cooler. Also, It has not boiled over once since I switched to it. Also, buy a set of works connection radiator braces for each bike. They saved my 426's radiators from bending a few times now. well worth the $50.

• SXP

Posted October 29, 2008 - 10:14 AM

[quote name='426 NOOB']and ever since I put engine ice in it, it runs at least 40-50 deg. cooler. QUOTE]

Is that really the case, or has the boiling point just been raised with the Engine Ice, and in reality the bike really runs just as hot as with a 50/50 blend of regular coolant?

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2008 - 10:44 AM

and ever since I put engine ice in it, it runs at least 40-50 deg. cooler.

Is that really the case, or has the boiling point just been raised with the Engine Ice, and in reality the bike really runs just as hot as with a 50/50 blend of regular coolant?

You have it right. He would have no way of knowing the actual temperature.

• dmoney1074

Posted October 29, 2008 - 11:20 AM

when you do your 426's coolant, Use Engine Ice high performance coolant. It is a 50/50 blend pre-mixed in the bottle. Your local shop can get it. My 01 426 had problems with getting hot in the woods, and ever since I put engine ice in it, it runs at least 40-50 deg. cooler. Also, It has not boiled over once since I switched to it. Also, buy a set of works connection radiator braces for each bike. They saved my 426's radiators from bending a few times now. well worth the $50.

Works connection is CRAP... OP do yourself a favor and invest in the Unibiker radiator guards (found in the TT store). For coolant, I have never had a problem running Maxima Coolanol. I have tried Engine ice, but I think its just overpriced and does the same job. I run hard in the Arizona desert, so I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of both the brands....both effective, Engine ice is just overpriced IMVHO.

Also the single best mod I ever did to my 426 was JD Jet Kit. Forget AP covers or Powernow... you NEED the JD kit for optimum (and easy) performance out of the 426. Best $80 I ever spent on my 426....

Good luck... the 426 (and 400) are great bikes! :lol:

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2008 - 12:20 PM

For coolant, I have never had a problem running Maxima Coolanol. I have tried Engine ice, but I think its just overpriced and does the same job.

They're both overpriced, although Coolanol is cheaper. Coolanol is simply ordinary ethylene glycol coolant mixed 50/50 with deionized water. Deionization is technically superior to distillation, but not so that it makes a great deal of difference.

Likewise, Engine Ice is simply ordinary propylene glycol coolant mixed 50/50 with water. You could make either of these products yourself from stuff off the shelf, and enhance them further with Redline's Water Wetter for less than the cost of Engine Ice (which is a good product, just over priced).

• dmoney1074

Posted October 29, 2008 - 04:27 PM

They're both overpriced, although Coolanol is cheaper. Coolanol is simply ordinary ethylene glycol coolant mixed 50/50 with deionized water. Deionization is technically superior to distillation, but not so that it makes a great deal of difference.

Likewise, Engine Ice is simply ordinary propylene glycol coolant mixed 50/50 with water. You could make either of these products yourself from stuff off the shelf, and enhance them further with Redline's Water Wetter for less than the cost of Engine Ice (which is a good product, just over priced).

Coolanol is almost half the price of engine Ice..... :lol:

With my cycle gear discount, Coolanol is almost as cheap as automotive coolants. :p

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2008 - 07:57 PM

Coolanol is almost half the price of engine Ice..... :lol:

With my cycle gear discount, Coolanol is almost as cheap as automotive coolants. :p

At my friendly local parts house, Engine Ice is $18, and Coolanol is $13, both prices for 64 ounces of ready to use coolant. $6.50/qt, at best, and that makes Coolanol closer to 3/4 the price of Engine Ice (72%)

I can find a gallon of Premium Prestone PG coolant for $13, and a gallon of distilled water for under $2, with which I can make 256 ounces of 50/50 with a higher boil point than Coolanol. $1.88/qt.

Your math is a little weak, I'm afraid.

• dmoney1074

Posted October 29, 2008 - 09:24 PM

At my friendly local parts house, Engine Ice is $18, and Coolanol is $13, both prices for 64 ounces of ready to use coolant. $6.50/qt, at best, and that makes Coolanol closer to 3/4 the price of Engine Ice (72%)

I can find a gallon of Premium Prestone PG coolant for $13, and a gallon of distilled water for under $2, with which I can make 256 ounces of 50/50 with a higher boil point than Coolanol. $1.88/qt.

Your math is a little weak, I'm afraid.

At my local cycle gear, Coolanol is 11.99 and Ice is 19.99 ===== 59.9 % the cost of Ice! In my math textbook, that's CLOSER TO HALF THE COST. :p HMMM i guess my math is not off. But whos counting anyways... oh I guess you are. :lol: :lol:

BTW how do you figure Prestone has a higher boiling point? Just wondering, really.

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2008 - 04:47 AM

BTW how do you figure Prestone has a higher boiling point? Just wondering, really.

Coolanol is ethylene glycol based, and boils at about 265 under 16 psi. The Prestone (brand selected for its high price for this comparison) I cited is propylene glycol based, and boils at closer to 275-280 under the same pressure when mixed 50/50.

So, you were closer to right about the relative price of Coolanol vs. Engine Ice than it looked from my perspective, but you didn't address the point regarding the cost of automotive coolants, of what happens to the $1.88/qt price when you buy the coolant for $9/gallon instead of $13. :lol:

• dmoney1074

Posted October 30, 2008 - 07:27 AM

Coolanol is ethylene glycol based, and boils at about 265 under 16 psi. The Prestone (brand selected for its high price for this comparison) I cited is propylene glycol based, and boils at closer to 275-280 under the same pressure when mixed 50/50.

So, you were closer to right about the relative price of Coolanol vs. Engine Ice than it looked from my perspective, but you didn't address the point regarding the cost of automotive coolants, of what happens to the $1.88/qt price when you buy the coolant for $9/gallon instead of $13. :lol:

Point taken, but when its all said and done I don't change the coolant often enough to really feel the price. Plus I get the coolanol for less than $9 a jug.....thats ~ $18 to change it out with a bunch left over. And i do this maybe once a season.... not very expensive. And its convenient... no mixing, nothing to worry about, just pour it in. But it really doesnt matter in the end everyone has their preference. I was just advising on a few areas so that the OP didnt make the same mistakes I made in parts/ etc.

As for the boiling points.... I doubt my yz250 ever gets above 150 degrees so :p

I know its more important for the thumpers though...:lol:

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2008 - 08:23 AM

...I (change coolant) maybe once a season.... not very expensive. And its convenient... no mixing, nothing to worry about, just pour it in.

That is something to mix into the decision making process. If you have one bike, and don't normally loose any coolant, you can get two season's worth of ready to use coolant for $12 or so (less in your particular case), whereas mixing your own requires about the same money, but you have to have something to mix it in, and you end up with two gallons of coolant to store, unless you also use it in a car.

But if you own multiple bikes, and they are 4-strokes, and you ride them in places them cause the cooling system to get occasionally nauseous, you need more anyway.

From the convenience angle, you could also buy a ready mixed automotive EG coolant, usually around $12/gallon, which is a third cheaper per quart than Coolanol at your price, and it's exactly the same stuff.

• dmoney1074

Posted October 30, 2008 - 10:44 AM

That is something to mix into the decision making process. If you have one bike, and don't normally loose any coolant, you can get two season's worth of ready to use coolant for $12 or so (less in your particular case), whereas mixing your own requires about the same money, but you have to have something to mix it in, and you end up with two gallons of coolant to store, unless you also use it in a car.

But if you own multiple bikes, and they are 4-strokes, and you ride them in places them cause the cooling system to get occasionally nauseous, you need more anyway.

From the convenience angle, you could also buy a ready mixed automotive EG coolant, usually around $12/gallon, which is a third cheaper per quart than Coolanol at your price, and it's exactly the same stuff.

Makes sense... I just have one bike so it really makes no difference. BTW I always used to run auto coolant in my sport bikes with good results.

So to sum it up, are you saying that "4 stroke" motorcycle specific coolant is a marketing gimmic? I have always wondered about this myself... but I was told at one point that these coolants have some extra chemistry to ensure seal protection, anti foaming, and protection from rust/corrosion on the aluminum.... but :lol: if that's the case, or they are just scamming us. I have used pretty much every product Maxima makes and I have been completely satisfied with all of them. I believe firmly that they consistently produce the best products on the market. That was my justification for using their coolant.

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2008 - 01:01 PM

So to sum it up, are you saying that "4 stroke" motorcycle specific coolant is a marketing gimmic? I have always wondered about this myself... but I was told at one point that these coolants have some extra chemistry to ensure seal protection, anti foaming, and protection from rust/corrosion on the aluminum....

I'm sure it is to some extent. It may actually be that the coolant packaged for 4-strokes has all that stuff, but most of the good automotive coolants do, too. Remember that the thermostat in your typical car or truck won't even open until 210-215 degrees, and they are intended to operate at 225-240 normally, with aluminum radiators, engine parts, etc., for much longer periods of time than your bike is.

Since motorcycle specific coolants usually start with automotive stuff in bulk, either the re-packager would have to buy very cheap coolant, or take stuff out (and you know they won't do that) in order for those additives to be there. In the case of Maxima, I have confidence that they market good quality merchandise, and I personally use and recommend a number of their products. I believe Coolanol is, in fact, a good, premium coolant. But I doubt that Maxima had to do anything heroic to get it to be that way.

• dmoney1074

Posted October 30, 2008 - 02:40 PM

I believe Coolanol is, in fact, a good, premium coolant. But I doubt that Maxima had to do anything heroic to get it to be that way.

Your probably right on that notion.... :lol:

Peace of mind for me I guess....

• johndeere1

Posted October 30, 2008 - 04:16 PM

I am new to this forum but I believe you all lost sight of the original topic and made this thread about coolant. Not so much about how good of bikes the 400 and 426 are.

That's my opinion I'm just sayin.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.