WR400F dual sport tires.. help!

30 replies to this topic
  • Ska-Cheetos

Posted October 28, 2008 - 05:25 PM

ok, iv been looking around for about 3 days now:banghead: trying to find out what dual sport 80/20 tire is good for my 1998 WR400F. iv looked at alot.. but alot of them seem too street. like not knobby enuf. i want traction on dirt yet a tire that wont wear out fast. i dont have the money to replace it all the time. if anyone can recommend a good tire that is under $85 that doesnt wear out fast i would really appreciate it. im new to this, i just recieved this from my dad for my 1st vehicle. i hav some Perelli's on there now, but their only dirt. the mesurements for them now is back:120/100-18 front:80/100-21. please help

• KennyMc

Posted October 28, 2008 - 06:53 PM

I have used the Kenda K760 Trakmaster II for the back with good results. I liked the Pirelli MT18HD for the front but they have discontinued them. Think the are the Pirelli Scorpion line now.

Search under "tire" in the Dual-Sport forum for a pethora of info.:lol:

• bluebreadtruck

Posted October 29, 2008 - 04:06 AM

I love this tire.
Seems to wear pretty good on road...ive put about 700 miles on it and its still holding up fine. Off road, its great! Climbs great in sand, and bits great on the trails.

I bought front and rear tires and am very happy.

http://www.rockymoun...odFamilyId=3340

• Ska-Cheetos

Posted October 29, 2008 - 02:48 PM

thnx man, that tire looks to be what im looking for, but i hav a question, the tires i hav on the back now is a 120/100-18 but i was wondering if u can get like a different size or does it have to be that size?

• Ska-Cheetos

Posted October 29, 2008 - 02:53 PM

oh and would u happen to kno what the on/off percentage is? 80/20 im assuming since thats what i said in the original post

• KennyMc

Posted October 29, 2008 - 03:04 PM

thnx man, that tire looks to be what im looking for, but i hav a question, the tires i hav on the back now is a 120/100-18 but i was wondering if u can get like a different size or does it have to be that size?

It does not have to be the same size. 110/100-18 is stock. The 120 gives you more of a bite. I run the 120.

• KennyMc

Posted October 29, 2008 - 03:13 PM

oh and would u happen to kno what the on/off percentage is? 80/20 im assuming since thats what i said in the original post

The Kenda Trakmaster is a 80/20 tire. For my next tire, I am going to give the Kenda Parker-DT a try.

http://www.kendausa....orcycle/mx.html

• Ska-Cheetos

Posted October 29, 2008 - 05:49 PM

those kenda's are pretty sick, and they fit my area, im in the Arizona high desert. but there not dual sport. and i hafta ride my bike to school and around and i wanna go off road so thats why i wanted like a 80/20 or 70/30.
edit: the Michelin's are tubeless right??

• KennyMc

Posted October 29, 2008 - 06:24 PM

those kenda's are pretty sick, and they fit my area, im in the Arizona high desert. but there not dual sport. and i hafta ride my bike to school and around and i wanna go off road so thats why i wanted like a 80/20 or 70/30.
edit: the Michelin's are tubeless right??

Both the Kenda Trakmaster and the Parker DT's are DOT approved.

• 1rkcooper

Posted October 29, 2008 - 06:32 PM

What do you mean by dual sport, do you mean DOT approved?

I have run Kenda and Mitas tires and they are both ok. I do 90% off road and they work good.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ska-Cheetos

Posted October 29, 2008 - 06:53 PM

no not DOT approved, dual sport like 80%on road/20% off. like that. well yea i guess they wud be DOT approved. but im going to be riding mostly on road, its going to be my 1st car, my only means of trans. besides feet lol

• KennyMc

Posted October 29, 2008 - 07:58 PM

no not DOT approved, dual sport like 80%on road/20% off. like that. well yea i guess they wud be DOT approved. but im going to be riding mostly on road, its going to be my 1st car, my only means of trans. besides feet lol

Oh, got it.:p Can't help, I do 99% dirt, 1% street.:lol:

• 1rkcooper

Posted October 30, 2008 - 08:16 PM

I don't know that you will find a tire that is designed for 80% highway riding that is much in the way of being knobby. 80% off road will probably get you knobby. Check manufacturers websites for info.

• phoo

Posted October 31, 2008 - 03:20 PM

I've heard good things about the Avon Distanzia, if you want something that's street-focused that can be ridden on the dirt.

~Patrick

• Ska-Cheetos

Posted November 01, 2008 - 11:19 AM

i think im going to go with the Michelin AC10 enduros

• Ska-Cheetos

Posted November 03, 2008 - 04:18 PM

iv been jumping around to so many different tires lol but i think iv made my last choice on the Bridgestone TW302 and TW301, any input on them?

• bluebreadtruck

Posted November 04, 2008 - 04:54 AM

sorry, not me BUT i can tell you that the michelin ac-10's that I linked you above have gone 800 miles on the street and i bet i can get over 2k from them no problem!!!

• Regalman

Posted November 04, 2008 - 06:41 AM

I guess it really comes down to how much you care about wear.

The Kenda K760 rear tire is a great offroad rear... but it does wear pretty fast if you get it on the pavement for any amount of time. The front isn't the greatest front tire... but will work.

If you care about wear, its hard to beat the Dunlop 606, its wears very well and isn't that bad offroad. It is a bit pricey though.

• Ska-Cheetos

Posted November 11, 2008 - 02:27 PM

I guess it really comes down to how much you care about wear.

The Kenda K760 rear tire is a great offroad rear... but it does wear pretty fast if you get it on the pavement for any amount of time. The front isn't the greatest front tire... but will work.

If you care about wear, its hard to beat the Dunlop 606, its wears very well and isn't that bad offroad. It is a bit pricey though.

ya i looked at the dunlops cause everyone says their nice but the dont make em to fit my bike :/ and the kendas are just too cheap. i think my life is worth more than 20$ a tire. lol

• Ska-Cheetos

Posted November 11, 2008 - 02:29 PM

sorry, not me BUT i can tell you that the michelin ac-10's that I linked you above have gone 800 miles on the street and i bet i can get over 2k from them no problem!!!

yea but the bridgestones look more of what im looking for. the michelins are nice but too knobby, looks like they'll where to fast.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.