poss new fix for oil drain/bolt strip?

4 replies to this topic
  • tcuda499

Posted October 28, 2008 - 11:33 AM

I'm getting ready to do my first oil and filter on my 450.I have read all the Stickys on the lower bolt on the oil filter housing cover that could poss get stripped while removing it.Is it poss to cut a bolt and insert it into the housing with lock tight to perminetly cover the drain passage and retap the outer portion of the case for a shorter bolt?I haven't had it apart yet so this might not be poss at all but I figured I would through it out there.What do ya think?

• tweav

Posted October 28, 2008 - 12:23 PM

if it's the bolt I'm thinking of it's quite long . like 3.5 - 4 inches or so and goes all the way into the main case . I don't really see any reason why you couldn't replace that one with a stud and a nut , but one or both of the other two has oil running around it and a copper washer to seal it . a stud with a nut would leak in this case. What I woud do If I were you . is just take the bolts out make sure you turn them counter clockwise . If one strips out deal with it then otherwise put in your new filter put some never-sieze on the bolts and just bearly tight . I've put mine on loose enough that it leaked when I started it . I just grabbed a t-handle and tightened it until it stopped leaking.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tcuda499

Posted October 28, 2008 - 07:09 PM

good idea with the stud and nut.I just dont want to run into the problems I have been reading about.Thanks:thumbsup:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 28, 2008 - 07:21 PM

I think this is what you are looking for:

Prevent Thread Damage to the Lower Filter Cover Bolt
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

• tcuda499

Posted October 29, 2008 - 06:05 PM

Ya,I read that but dont think thats what I'mm gonna do.Although a good idea,not my #1 pick.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.