fork spring instalation

1 reply to this topic
  • cnacc

Posted January 14, 2003 - 11:41 AM

I just got new fork springs. I would like to put them in, but I have never done this before. I have a few questions.

1. Do I have to take the forks off of the bike to do this? My fork oil was recently changed, so I would rather not mess with it if I don't have to.

2. In my service manual is shows that you need some thin wrenches to adjust the spring pre load. What size is it?

3. I know to be careful when taking off the top caps, i.e. preloaded springs, and not contaminating the system with dirt/foreign debris.

Are there any other things I need to be aware of or any other helpful hints or links that may be helpful. Thanks
:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted January 14, 2003 - 11:52 AM

Sounds like you pretty much got it.
No you dont have to remove the forks.
You will have to take the bars off to get clearance for the caps to come off.

Take the caps off. Get the weight off the forks 1st.
You will need a thin wrench to get at the nut under the caps. Once you get the caps off. Compress the forks and the springs will pop out.

Id recheck the oil level b4 you button it all up to make sure it is were it is supposed to be.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.