new chain, gold wearing off.

2 replies to this topic
  • Kawirider37

Posted October 28, 2008 - 05:14 AM

So I replaced the stock chain on my 08 yz450f with the 520 erv3. It looks great but it seems to be rubbing inside the chain guide just infront of the rear sprocket. Is this normal for this chain on this bike? I've noticed the gold coating starting to rub off the top part of the links and the pins or rivots are starting to shpow flat spot where they contact the chain guard. Will the chain when the battle and wear down the rubber in the guard or should I get a wider guard?

I checked both sides of the chain and they seem to be wearing the same. My guess is that the wheel and sprocket are alingned properly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 28, 2008 - 06:13 AM

Totally normal. With the Regina ORN6 chains I run, I normally have to change master links after 8 months to a year because the clip gets worn by the guide. The tops and bottom of the plates develop pronounced flat spots on their edges, due more to the dirt than the rubber, and by the time the chain is finally ready to replace, the plates are almost worn to the sealing rings.

• Kawirider37

Posted October 28, 2008 - 11:00 AM

Fewwww! Thanks.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.