Rattling sound in fork

12 replies to this topic
  • Strattos

Posted October 27, 2008 - 05:04 PM

The other night, after washing my bike, i was moving it around and noticed what sounds like a bit of a rattle inside the forks when I move the bike from side to side quickly.

It's not really loud - you'd never hear it with the motor running. Sounds like it somewhere up near the upper half of the forks - around where the lower triple clamp is.

Is this normal? I haven't noticed it in my other bikes. Just wondering if its always been like this and I've only just noticed it.

What could it be?

• squid

Posted October 28, 2008 - 10:16 AM

My WR does that to I think its normal.

• matt4x4

Posted October 28, 2008 - 11:34 AM

mine doesn't make that sound - does that mean mine's broken???

Sounds like it has something to do with the upper spring seat near where the inner cylinder connects to it- if you're pinpointing the location right.

• face_plant

Posted October 28, 2008 - 01:29 PM

or the lower bearing popped loose

• doctorchopper

Posted October 28, 2008 - 02:44 PM

its just the spring nothing to worry about

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted October 28, 2008 - 06:43 PM

its just the spring nothing to worry about

Bingo...my 06 did it and my 08 does as well

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KennyMc

Posted October 28, 2008 - 06:48 PM

Yep, mine too. Always kinda wondered what it was. Kept looking for something loose on the light or fork guards.:lol:

• simica

Posted October 28, 2008 - 07:01 PM

I have an '06 and have not heard this noise on mine, but someone tell me if this test would work to confirm it is loose springs. If you compress the front end and use a tie down to hold the compressed forks, and then wiggle around the front end, would the noise go away if it were the springs making the noise? Just an idea if someone wants to try it

• KennyMc

Posted October 28, 2008 - 07:13 PM

I have an '06 and have not heard this noise on mine, but someone tell me if this test would work to confirm it is loose springs. If you compress the front end and use a tie down to hold the compressed forks, and then wiggle around the front end, would the noise go away if it were the springs making the noise? Just an idea if someone wants to try it

Yep, if I pull the front wheel off of the ground on the kickstand and pound on the forks, I hear the rattle. Compress the forks and rattle goes away.:lol:

• simica

Posted October 28, 2008 - 07:35 PM

Cool! Ah, together we can solve life's mysteries! What a great messageboard!

• texas_hippie

Posted October 29, 2008 - 03:24 PM

Noticed that same sound after replacing the fork seals....just the springs slapping from side to side...completely normal.

• Strattos

Posted October 29, 2008 - 09:34 PM

Magic. I can rest easy.

• woodyridesflow

Posted March 09, 2010 - 07:30 PM

so this is just loose springs? and its not going to explode or anything aha coz i have this issue on my 96 CR 125 and was getting concerned, wasnt goin to stop me from going riding this afternoon though =P

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.