FAO Grayracer - Oil breather mod

103 replies to this topic
  • tnl

Posted October 29, 2008 - 12:43 PM

The washer on your air filter element bolt is upside down, BTW. :p

:lol: Oops, I'll fix mine next time too. Thanks!

• mazzuca21366

Posted October 30, 2008 - 11:44 AM

I ride only on flat dirt roads. Can I leave the stock system?

• grayracer513

Posted October 30, 2008 - 01:10 PM

Mine is stock, as issued, as is my son's, as were the two YZF's that went before those. We ride some MX, some trails ranging from fire roads to Black Diamond, and a lot of desert, including dunes. We have had no trouble whatsoever. We see very little water, however.

• Stroker06

Posted October 31, 2008 - 05:24 PM

Where is everyone getting that K&N filter? And what part # for it? I will need to do this mod over winter and am interested getting parts lined up now. Thanks.

• cameronarrow

Posted November 01, 2008 - 07:07 PM

After looking at all the mod options, I am going with the Yamaha fix kit here;

http://www.thumperta...573#post4956573

http://www.thumperta...72&d=1187932471

Makes the best sense to me. Provides filtered air to the head. Keeps water out. Traps excess oil from overfills. I checked my 04 WR450F and my intake boot has the adapter port molded in ready to be drilled out. Why hasn't Yamaha done this from the factory ?

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2008 - 08:21 PM

Because it blows crankcase vapors and oil directly into the intake side of the air filter.

What they did on the WR is essentilally what Jones has done.

• _JoNeS_

Posted November 02, 2008 - 11:41 AM

*Update* Found a major design flaw in my modification. Down to me not thinking ahead, I forgot that the T part may interfer with the exhaust. Which it does....back to the drawing board. See pics below, I have had to run the lower tube round the front of the bottom of the carb, it was the only way I could think of, it is secured in place by the white ziptie you can see around the intake. Hopefully this will be ok.

Posted Image

• _JoNeS_

Posted November 02, 2008 - 11:42 AM

You can see the zip tie etc in this photo and the way I have had to route it to avoid it touching the pipe.

Posted Image

• _JoNeS_

Posted November 02, 2008 - 11:44 AM

I have had to run it on the other side of the shock, it rubs it slightly but ive bounced up and down on the bike and it dosen't seem to cause any major interference issues.

Posted Image

• _JoNeS_

Posted November 02, 2008 - 11:45 AM

Here it is poking/dangling out of the bottom, this seemed the most logical way to route it.

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goosedog

Posted February 04, 2009 - 04:53 AM

I'm planning on doing this mod to my YZ but I don't see the need for the K&N filter on the end of the breather line in the airbox. If it's for dust, the stock system on a YZ doesn't deem it nessesary so why bother?

• Wes Woodin

Posted February 04, 2009 - 06:07 AM

Let me ask, I thought that the reason for relocating the breather hose was to keep it up as high so that it would eliminate the potential for sucking up trash or dirt backward through the breather hose and getting stuff into the engine.
If you run the breather down under the bike you still have the potential for the problem. Also most things would flow the path of least resistance, so with the filter on the other end, thus restricting the flow of air, would seem to me that it would suck from the breather tube located in the new position. Doesn't make much sense to me. Why not run a "Y" and run both tubes into the breather box with two foam filter inserts. It would seem that it would eliminate any potential problem, sucking up stuff from down low on the bike.

• mike_dean

Posted February 04, 2009 - 07:17 AM

Let me ask, I thought that the reason for relocating the breather hose was to keep it up as high so that it would eliminate the potential for sucking up trash or dirt backward through the breather hose and getting stuff into the engine.
If you run the breather down under the bike you still have the potential for the problem. Also most things would flow the path of least resistance, so with the filter on the other end, thus restricting the flow of air, would seem to me that it would suck from the breather tube located in the new position. Doesn't make much sense to me. Why not run a "Y" and run both tubes into the breather box with two foam filter inserts. It would seem that it would eliminate any potential problem, sucking up stuff from down low on the bike.

I think water would provide more resistance than the filter. Mike

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2009 - 07:56 AM

As long as the filter was at least reasonably clean, that would be true. However, it only takes a 1 in/hg vacuum to raise water 13", so the filter needs to be checked and maintained, or left out.

As to why it would be used at all, the air box is a somewhat dustier environment at times than the outside air is, and the run of hose back to the engine itself is shorter from that point. Then again, one could simply place a filter on both outlets for balance.

• Wes Woodin

Posted February 04, 2009 - 07:19 PM

True, but if we were just talking dirt, it would suck up just as the stock set up. In my opinion it would be best to run the hoses up towards the front of the bike or under the gas tank, up high. This way you would help limit the potential of sucking up water. Also as Grey states with the check valve style flap incorporated into the system and a lightweight foam filter that you could oil, may perform better than the bulky filter mounted in the airbox. I'm not knocking the modified breather system, but just voicing my opinion.

• Goosedog

Posted February 05, 2009 - 04:38 AM

How about this then;

Since a filter isn't really nessesary unless you're in the airbox's dirty environment and since water will take the path of least resistance and because you want to keep the line's exit down low so oil won't drip down your engine...why not just leave the stock YZ configuration in place with the addition of a T and 3" of new line coming off the top of the exsisting breather line up under the tank?

That way (1) it looks stock, nothing wrong with that. (2) it now has an alternative port when the OEM line's under water. (3) no oil dripping anywhere but below the bike. (4) no line squeezed beside the shock that will eventually wear through.

• grayracer513

Posted February 05, 2009 - 06:48 AM

The main reason to run the line to the air box is so that in the event that it does blow oil out that end, it goes somewhere where it isn't an issue. If you put it under the tank, and it never pukes on anything, it isn't a problem.

• 2005Yamaha

Posted February 05, 2009 - 02:34 PM

I have a check valve from thumper racing that I just sliced in to the breather line on my 08 450f. Does this accomplish the same thing i guess right?
they call it a case vent see here:
http://www.thumperst...e_case_vent.htm

I had it on my ktm, and switched it over when i got my yz.
On a similar topic, where are you guys routing your carb vent hoses? Does anyone use a filter on them?
thanks,
Ralph

• grayracer513

Posted February 06, 2009 - 12:18 PM

$70?? I'm in the wrong line of work.

Anyway, locate the two vent lines that exit the float chamber pointing straight up and route them to either the air box or up under the tank. Some run filters on them, I don't. The only time there is a steady, continuous vacuum applied to these hoses is when running the "choke". Air for that circuit comes from the float bowl, and must enter through the vent lines. (bad design)

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted February 12, 2009 - 02:18 PM

Think of the mess to deal with when you have to take off the carb.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.