what clamps to put on my 08

27 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2008 - 12:59 PM

If you expect that clamps will stop the front from pushing, let tell you simply that they won't. Changing the clamp offset changes the trail (an aspect of steering geometry). Trail affects the bike's tendency to turn in at lower speeds when leaned over, how it tracks at speed, and how much the steering changes with speed. It also affects the overall feel of the steering. But too much or too little trail is not the cause of understeer (push).

That's caused by a combination of steering head angle, weight distribution, and suspension dive (or lack of it).

• AnotherRedHead

Posted October 30, 2008 - 09:55 AM

I pay alot of attention to factory machines. If I were to own only my 08 yami, I would do the following to help the push.....

Get some 24mm, 22mm, and 17mm clamps, maybe do this with a friend to test different offsets, sometimes its simply rider preference and riding style.

Get some thinner Ti front motor mounts, maybe half the thickness of the stockers, to help feed flex into the front end, Ive even seen some that are just as thick as the stockers, just have a portion of the center machined out (not all the way through however). Every factory yami team does this, Joe gibbs, factory yami etc....also torque the bolts to 25-30 ft lbs instead of 40 plus. They need to be checked periodically so they dont come loose.

Front tires. Get a 756 for loam, and a 745 for hardpack.

There are other options but the others are much higher priced, and require custom fabrication. Ti axles and stuff add input feel to the machine, and allow the susp to react quicker but are only good for two years and cost 1000 for the set with a swingarm bolt. All factory yami riders use a custom fabbed aluminum gas tank as well. Just stuff to think about!!!!

• cablemonkey334

Posted November 02, 2008 - 08:21 PM

well i went with the zip ty racing 17mm clamp an love the way the bike felt. my only complaint was that i cut to much off of my handle bars an they felt vary stiff. anyway s the bike felt much better and stayed in the ruts well . it even felt like i could turn it or flip it around easy. plus they look trick.

• Justin89

Posted November 02, 2008 - 08:42 PM

well i went with the zip ty racing 17mm clamp an love the way the bike felt. my only complaint was that i cut to much off of my handle bars an they felt vary stiff. anyway s the bike felt much better and stayed in the ruts well . it even felt like i could turn it or flip it around easy. plus they look trick.

Wow thats good to here! but that seems almost SM set up...Graves uses 14mm I think :eek::worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AnotherRedHead

Posted November 03, 2008 - 03:36 PM

cut too much off handlebars? Huh?

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 03, 2008 - 07:31 PM

cut too much off handlebars? Huh?

im guessing he cut the ends of his bars a bit to much and i guess now is feeling some vibration.

• cablemonkey334

Posted November 03, 2008 - 07:47 PM

yeh i cut them to short an they felt like i had a piece of pipe bolted up to the bike , next time i ll move in smaller increments . but i am happy with the clamps , i would say it was the best money spent on my bike.

• davidrussell41

Posted November 05, 2008 - 05:02 PM

I also put the ZIP-TYE clamps 17mm on my 06 450 and run the bars in the 10mm forward pos. Seems to work just great. Almost wish I had tried the forward position first might have saved 500 bucks? But love the bike regardless

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.